News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Passport

Nice passport - to complete your collection you need to get a blue passport. Any Hungarian citizen could apply for a red covered passport in which you could travel to any of the Warsaw Pact nations. I have some which have Jugoslavia on the stamp for nations that you could travel to - but the 'Jugoslavia' was crossed out. Blue passports were the ones for 'special' indiviudals whou could travel to the West. They could alos apply for $50 US Dollars to take with them as the Hungarian Forint could not be exchanged for currency in the west. It made for short trips unless you had family in the place you were going - but then people might be following.... :unsure:

Nice passport - to complete your collection you need to get a blue passport. Any Hungarian citizen could apply for a red covered passport in which you could travel to any of the Warsaw Pact nations. I have some which have Jugoslavia on the stamp for nations that you could travel to - but the 'Jugoslavia' was crossed out. Blue passports were the ones for 'special' indiviudals whou could travel to the West. They could alos apply for $50 US Dollars to take with them as the Hungarian Forint could not be exchanged for currency in the west. It made for short trips unless you had family in the place you were going - but then people might be following.... :unsure:

Wow thank you for the information :cheers:

I have never seen a blue one :unsure: but now the hunt is on for a blue one :jumping:

Order of Victory

Another little note, that may be of interest or not, re the stamps in the pasport. I noticed a car pictured on your stamps indicating the person with the passport left the country by car. There are also stamps for trains and planes. The picture of the vehicle used faces in one direction when you exit the country and in the other direction when you return. Trivia anyone?

Cheers,

Gordon

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

I've been waiting for someone to comment on the name shown in the "red" passport in post #2--

to my understanding, "Vit?z" was a title of hereditary semi-nobility bestowed under the Horthy regime, accompanied by several military decorations.

????

Guest Rick Research

IF I've got that right and it is NOT a normal part of some names, that it could be used by the recipient's ? widow is also new to me.

Rick - that would be Vitez Vitez Palne! "Vitez" is "Brave" So the name would be more like 'The Wife of Pal the Brave' if we were back in the 16th centruy... (Palne is 'Wife of Pal') - Vitez as a title given by Horhty after 1922 and to the end of the war was more like the Queen knighting someone Or - Sir Brave, Pal...

As for bicycles - there are several "pedestrian" crossings at many places. Not all car friendly. So that stamp tells the next borderguard guy "Wehre did you get the nice Trabant? As it seems you came walking out of the woods? Camrade???"

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: That is soooo weird. Austria banned even the word "von" in noble names... and there's a Communist regime recognizing the title of someone made a "ritter von" sort of person, all but certainly for FIGHTING THEM? :speechless1:

All titles of "Vitez" were banned in 1946 (as I recall?) But if your family name was Vitez - they did not want to take that away from you! (Unless you were of German decent in 1946 - then you were deported or you made a new last name and forgot that papa every spoke German to you!) Hungarian names are very interesting and hold much of the flavor of the mideival period. Gone from the language are the "the" before the family name, but the flavor is still thre. The fist passport is Vitez Pal (Pal the Brave) others like my friend Rozsa Viktor (Victor the Rose) Farkas Tibi (Tibi the Wolf) Hegedus Janos (John the Violinist) etc....not all family names hold over the past, but there is a percentage.

All titles of "Vitez" were banned in 1946 (as I recall?) But if your family name was Vitez - they did not want to take that away from you! (Unless you were of German decent in 1946 - then you were deported or you made a new last name and forgot that papa every spoke German to you!) Hungarian names are very interesting and hold much of the flavor of the mideival period. Gone from the language are the "the" before the family name, but the flavor is still thre. The fist passport is Vitez Pal (Pal the Brave) others like my friend Rozsa Viktor (Victor the Rose) Farkas Tibi (Tibi the Wolf) Hegedus Janos (John the Violinist) etc....not all family names hold over the past, but there is a percentage.

Thanks for an intresting piece of information :jumping:

Order of Victory