News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just a nice find from a regimental history: Major Reid with his medal bar. I don't have his first name. He was Hptm in IR 55 by 1914, with RAO4, BMV4 and WF3a. Ended WW1 as Oberstlt aD and Kdr RIR 26.

During WW1, he seems to have got a Saxon Verdienstkreuz, Lippe Hausorden and Lippe KVK plus another medal which I cannot recognize.

Reid_Major_letzter_Kdr_RIR26__2c.jpg

Edited by webr55

Oberstleutnant Franz Reid.

17.5.92: Sek.-Lieut.

14.9.00: Oberleutnant

13.9.06: Hauptmann

8.11.14: Major

Originally commissioned into Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 85 on 17 May 1892. He had been the Adjutant to the Governor of Ulm (Uniform of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 170) when he was assigned as the Company Commander of 11./I.R. 55 on 21 April 1911.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

That's probably the Baden Jubilee Medal of 1902 3rd from the end-- what WEIRD jumbled awards he is wearing. :speechless:

Per the Detmold rolls, Franz Reid was born in Bromberg 20.12.1870. He received the LDH4aX 27 November 1915 as a Major in the Kriegsministerium, living in Berlin-Steglitz. Looks like Saxony gave him their booby prize! :cheeky:

That's probably the Baden Jubilee Medal of 1902 3rd from the end-- what WEIRD jumbled awards he is wearing. :speechless:

Per the Detmold rolls, Franz Reid was born in Bromberg 20.12.1870. He received the LDH4aX 27 November 1915 as a Major in the Kriegsministerium, living in Berlin-Steglitz. Looks like Saxony gave him their booby prize! :cheeky:

Yes! :cheers: He must have chosen a precedence Prussia-> other Kingdoms -> something else (Hesse?) -> Principalities.

Good work! Now I found him in the Berlin address books until 1929, living in Steglitz, Grunewaldstr. 6, as Oberstleutnant aD.

Edited by webr55

Following the outbreak of the war only a very assignments continued to be gazetted in the Milit?r-Wochenblatt, those to the War Ministry (Kriegsministerium) being amongst them. Major Reid was "temporarily" attached to the War Ministry on 18 January 1915 with a definitive transfer to there on 1 October 1915.

Regards

Glenn

So, I'm guessing that he's wearing a Kriegsministerium uniform in that photo because none of the regiments mentioned would have worn the Garde pattern eagle and star on the picklehaube.

So, are those silver or gold litzen?