News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Little Token of Esteem: VERY Little (Saxe Coburg)

Guest Rick Research

Found the absurd little thing on the right at today's quarterly regional militaria show, 1st up for size comparison:

This is a Carl Eduard Saxe-Coburg War Commemorative Cross, from the 1920s, Number 2693/1 in your Nimmergut "Deutschland Katalog" price guides.

I've never handled one before. Never was interested, actually, given its wretchedly diminutive size. But what I just paid for it is worth it as an example of a fake (faking these?) even if it is NOT a real one. I don't know if it is good or bad and would appreciate seeing anyone else's versions.

I know somebody just recently posted a photo of one in wear (which I cannot find again), but if we've ever had these come up before, I couldn't find any old thread using the "search" bar.

The pin was once bronze colored. It has lost almost all of its finish being jammed into whatever it was worn on over the years, so only the color beyond the bend at the hinge remains.

This is TRULY one of the worst examples of a miserable excuse for an Imperial German award I have ever seen.

Guest Rick Research

Ah... GLAD I am to see the same once bronze finished pin as yours, Don. :beer: The wearer of mine hand sharpened the tip to aid in sticking it into his clothing-- yours is blunt as they must have been handed out.

Since these are only 30mm square, the hinge and pin and catch are TINY.

It looks to me like unfinished ribboned crosses were made into the ridiculous pinbacks, which Carl Eduard then handed out in the 1920s.