News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two Small Badges From Yesterday

Yesterday at the Coin and Stamp Show I picked up two badges I had not seen before. Neither had Charles. The first one I'll post is a small oval badge that appears to be related to the railroad as it has the winged wheel, a symbol often associated with the railroad in Europe, at the botom on the badge below the year "1953". You may not be able to see it in the scan but there is also a winged wheel symbol on the side of the man's cap. Since there is nothing to tie this to Hungary it could be from some other country although the cap has a Austro-Hungarian shape to it.

Regards,

Gordon

The second badge is one that Charles believes is associated with an early post war Political Party. It also has connections to a youth movement. The legend on the badge translates as "Independant Youth" which could mean anything! At least this badge has definite Hungarian connection because of the writing and the colours. It is really a well made badge and in amazingly good shape after being through the hands of who knows how many dealers/collectors!

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 2 months later...

The second badge is one that Charles believes is associated with an early post war Political Party. It also has connections to a youth movement. The legend on the badge translates as "Independant Youth" which could mean anything! At least this badge has definite Hungarian connection because of the writing and the colours. It is really a well made badge and in amazingly good shape after being through the hands of who knows how many dealers/collectors!

Once again beautiful badges Charles. :beer: But this one especially! Looks extremely delicate... as you say... it's amazing how it can still be in such wonderful condition. I wonder how many have survived in anywhere near this condition. I wouldn't imagine too many.

Dan :cheers:

Dan,

This is indeed a nice badge and as I said so delicate that I am surprised it has survived in this good a condition. Only one I have ever seen. One day I may even find out what it is actually for!

Regards,

Gordon

So doesn't Zsolt know? If even he doesn't know between the three of you... it's really got to be obscure! Sure hope you can find out and let us know before too long. It's a beaut! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Gordon !

The first badge is unknown for me. I am not sure, this is an hungarian badge ?

The second: The Independent Youth (F?ggetlen Ifj?s?g) was the youth organization of the Independent Smallholders Party (F?ggetlen Kisgazdap?rt). This organization was dissolved in 1948.

Zsolt

Hallo Gordon, :cheers:

nice badges, looking at the first one it puts me in mind of badges one sees

connected to walking clubs or Mountain treaking clubs.

Possible connection to a Railway mans Leisure Association :unsure:

With regards the winged wheel I add pictures a couple of pins I have here at home.

No idea what period they date from.

The word on the pin is E L O R E.

No maker mark.

And

the symbol in the center reminds me of a campfire,

Again the pin is unmarked.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Zsolt,

Thanks for confirming the second pin as for the Small Holders Party. That what Charles thought it was as well.

Kevin,

Both of the pins you posted are for the Young Pioneers. The first one is associated with the Children's Railroad and I have seen it before but am unsure as to its actual use. If you post a picture of the back I would be able to take an educated guess. The second pin is a lapel pin for the Young Pioneers. There are an endless variety of small pins for different Hungarian organizations during the HUPR and that includes the Young Pioneers. I must have in the neighbourhood of 25 to 30 different Young Pioneer pins.

The children's railroad runs through the hills of Buda. One end is at the top of the Cog Railway and the other end is in H?v?sv?lgy, a small village on the outskirts of Budapest. The engines were, and still are, operated by adults who work for the Hungarian State Railway Company but the rest of the railroad was operated by members of the Young Pioneers. This is still the case but the youth group that runs the railroad is no longer called the Young Pioneers. There is an interesting museum of artifacts of Young Pioneers who worked on the railroad in H?v?sv?lgy.

Regards,

Gordon

Kevin,

Both of the pins you posted are for the Young Pioneers. The first one is associated with the Children's Railroad and I have seen it before but am unsure as to its actual use. If you post a picture of the back I would be able to take an educated

Regards, Gordon

Hallo Gordon, :beer: thanks for the information :jumping: as requested the rear of the pins:

Kevin in Deva :beer: