News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medal Research

Hi all,

I Just bought a common Victory medal but when I start to look for information it become more interesting.

His name was Joseph Beard 306318 Sto 1 RN , born 7th June 1885 in Brighton, Sussex

I couldnt get any medal card from National Archives? Is that because he was Royal Navy?

But I downloaded his service record and trying do read thoose handwritten notes I found out that he been on

HMS Castor, wasn?t she in the Jutland Battle? Does anyone know anything more about HMS Castor or Joseph Beard?

He got the victory medal but I cant see if got anything else... :unsure:

Any info at all would be an early christmas present! :cheeky:

Christer

There seems to be a fair amount of information on the web including these 2 sites -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Castor_(1915)

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishgu...y_list_1916.htm

Extract from the Official History; " Naval Operations" by Sir Julian S. Corbett. 1923

"( Jutland?The Fourth Phase -The Night )

.........and as the courses of the two fleets were now fast converging his advanced guard cruisers came into action almost immediately. What they struck was the destroyer rear guard where the Castor with the 11th Flotilla had taken station on the wing nearest the enemy, with Commodore Hawksley at the head of two divisions and Commander H. E. Sulivan in the Kempenfelt leading the remainder. About half an hour after Admiral Scheer's change of course, the Commodore, peering through the darkness, could make out ships on his starboard bow. What they were it was impossible to tell, and he was making towards them when they showed challenging lights. To add to the doubt as to their identity the first two signals they made were correct for the British challenge of the day, but the other two were wrong. For Commodore Hawksley, however, the uncertainty was soon set at rest. Suddenly the two leading strangers switched on searchlights and at 2,000 yards opened fire. Hitting began at once on both sides. Four times shells got home on the Castor, causing heavy casualties. One set her motor barge on fire, and so fiercely did it blaze that the whole ship became a brilliantly lighted target, and she turned away, but not before she had fired a torpedo. The enemy seemed also to turn away to avoid it, and they now disappeared. Each of the leading destroyers of the Castor's half-flotilla Marne and Magic, had also fired one torpedo, but they were so blinded by the rapid flashes of the Castor's guns that neither could see to fire more, while as for the rest of the destroyers, they were so certain that a mistake was being made, and that the strangers were some of our own ships, that they refrained from firing at all. So in the first hour of darkness the incalculable hazards of a night action were exemplified..........."

10 men killed, including a couple of Stokers, also two Boys & a Royal Marine Light Infantry Bugler plus "signals" personnel - could one of the navy experts tell us whereabouts these casualties would likely be on the vessel at the time of their deaths? (Stokers I suppose would be down low, stoking).

Baker, William, Boy 1.

Bartram, Leslie, A.B.

Broomhead, Alfred, Sto.

Candy,William Arthur Victor, Ord. Sig. Child,

Frederick Thorpe, Sto. P.O.

Evans, Alfred Owen ,Ord. Sig

Flory, Albert Edward, Bugler, R.M.L.I.

Fox, John Edward Sto. 1.

Gasson, Harry, A.B.

Hallam Fred, Boy 1.

Kilhams, Alfred John, Tel.

MacGregor,Donald Neil, Chief Yeoman of Signals.

Beard would have been entitled to at least one more meadal - the War Medal, the Service Record entries showing ship / shore base location may indicate that he was entitled to the 1914 or 1914-15 Star.

Could you post the Service Record please?

Edited by leigh kitchen

Guest Rick Research

12 years in the engine room turned his complexion from "fresh" to "sallow"

and his blue eyes to gray, according to that.

The information about his tattoos might seem like a minor curiosity, but I imagine there was a grizzly reality behind it. Given the nature of naval warfare, those could have been all that would identify his body--

or pieces of it.

10 men killed, including a couple of Stokers, also two Boys & a Royal Marine Light Infantry Bugler plus "signals" personnel - could one of the navy experts tell us whereabouts these casualties would likely be on the vessel at the time of their deaths? (Stokers I suppose would be down low, stoking).

Baker, William, Boy 1.

Bartram, Leslie, A.B.

Broomhead, Alfred, Sto.

Candy,William Arthur Victor, Ord. Sig. Child,

Frederick Thorpe, Sto. P.O.

Evans, Alfred Owen ,Ord. Sig

Flory, Albert Edward, Bugler, R.M.L.I.

Fox, John Edward Sto. 1.

Gasson, Harry, A.B.

Hallam Fred, Boy 1.

Kilhams, Alfred John, Tel.

MacGregor,Donald Neil, Chief Yeoman of Signals.

The signals blokes would have been topside definately, the bugler would have probably been with them on the flag deck. I'm not sure about the stokers, it just depends on what parts of the ship were hit. They may have been closed up on the ships motor barge, or they may have been below in the hull. It would be rare that a shell would punch below the waterline, the impact with water would set off the fuze.

Regards;

Johnsy

Thanks, I knew somebody would be up on the subject.

The only additional info worth commenting on that I can see on the Service Record at the moment is "Occupation" he was a potman, which means he collected glasses & washed down tables in a public house / bar.

An online check of the 1901 census may show him resident in Brighton.

Edited by leigh kitchen

• 5 weeks later...

A New collection ! :rolleyes:

When I found out that my RN man was in the battle of Jutland I went out on the net and tried to find the man on my other Victory medal!

And guess what ? 342 265 Fredrich John Morley E A 2 R.N was on the Princess Royal in 1916 in the battle of Jutland!!! :jumping:

I only got 4 victory medals and only two navy and both where in the battle of Jutland! A new collection seems to be forming !

Just a question what means E A 2 ? what was he?

Christer

Christer

Hi Christer :D

I think you will find it means Electrical Artificer 2nd class, so a qualified electrician, who maintains electrical equipment on board.

Regards Eddie

A New collection ! :rolleyes:

When I found out that my RN man was in the battle of Jutland I went out on the net and tried to find the man on my other Victory medal!

And guess what ? 342 265 Fredrich John Morley E A 2 R.N was on the Princess Royal in 1916 in the battle of Jutland!!! :jumping:

I only got 4 victory medals and only two navy and both where in the battle of Jutland! A new collection seems to be forming !

Christer

Check this thread http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16476

Post #83 has some WW1 type rate badges.

Regards;

Johnsy

Yes, it's amazing the information in those National Archives statement of services.

I've got the following:

1914-15 Star, BWM - HMS Lion at Jutland

1914-15 trio - HMS Bellerophon at Jutland. Died 1919 from TB

1914-15 Star, Victory - HMS King George V at Jutland. Died in naval hospital 1924 from Cancer. Interestingly, the two are mounted on a bar of some age, with no space large enough for the BWM.

Victory Medal - HMS Warspite at Jutland

Victory Medal - HMS Princess Royal at Jutland

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Christer :D

I think you will find it means Electrical Artificer 2nd class, so a qualified electrician, who maintains electrical equipment on board.

Regards Eddie

Also Engine Artificer, confusingly "EA 1", "EA 2" etc was used for both "Electrical" & "Engine" Artificer.

• 1 month later...

My small collection is growing!! :jumping:

Just bought two more medals, one 1914/15 Star and a Victory medal to a R.P Creswell 1st Stoker in Royal Navy

and after a little searching in the archives.... :rolleyes:

YES !! :cheeky: Reginald Percy Creswell was ombord the Battleship HMS Marlborough in Jutland 1916 !!

Hmm now I am lost , I have now four medals to Royal navy members all participating in the Batlle of Jutland.

on three different ships: HMS Castor, HMS Princess Royal and HMS Marlborough

The search goes on for more RN medals !!

Christer