News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

I recently picked up a decidedly ragged little bar with six clasps on the 1871 KDM. One is for Spichern. I've also seen this clasp spelled Spicheren. Which is the more common example? I do know that this battle was also called by a third name, Speichern, just to confuse things further. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

I cannot comment on Speichern,never heard that before other than in the meaning of saving.

Spichern is a village with its name deriving from surrounding hills the Spicherer H?hen.I should add that Spicheren sounds like a rather old-fashioned way of spelling.Both seems correct to me.

Edited by Rosenberg

No stats here, but I'd mention that "Spichern" is the German name, and "Spicheren" the French one.

(sorry can't say which dialect "Speichern" comes from, though I've seen it used as well).

So I guess it's a question of point of view here ?

And a great viewpont it must have been from the Spicheren Highs... :rolleyes: :

Kriegschauplatzes_28_SpichererHohen.jpg

"Spicherer H?hen von Stiering aus gesehen" (1871)

Salutations,

Jerome