News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown ribbon/medal ID requested

Hi,

I picked up a 57er medal bar recently (5-place, with EK2 and Ostfront the only obvious military medals) but one of the medals is missing. I have a suspicion it may be for either a veteran's association (possibly Austrian) or some sort of wartime unofficial medal (eg a sporting medal, as there was another wartime sporting medal on the bar).

I've cobbled together the likely full colour/stripe combination from the exposed ribbon on the medalbar to hopefully make ID a bit easier.

If anybody could ID the medal that goes with the ribbon it would be much appreciated! Even better would be if you could also post some pics of the correct medal. I'd like to try and replace it if possible (not for later resale).

Regards

Mike K

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

I apologise for the seriously delayed reply! I headed off to work soon after I started the thread and only got back late last week.

I seriously doubt the ribbon is for US service. The medal bar is an earlier 57er that appears to have been "padded" with as many dangly nits as possible.

Scans of the entire medal bar to follow.

Regards

Mike K

Obverse....

Hi Christophe,

The 4th medal is a Battalion athletics medal - the reverse reads Wettkampf Batl. D 12.Okt.40

The 5th medal is a post-war Austrian vets medal. It reads "?ft. Kameradfchtsbund * Landersverband Ob. ?ft" and on the reverse "F?r befondere Verdienfte" (f=s).

Regards

Mike K

Don't think any one has observed this but Medal ribbon 3 is the opposite coloration of ribbon 4 so one can assume from this that it is also an athletic medal.

Good point!

But does that mean the missing sports medal was for a combattant or non-combattant sport? :D

Regards

Mike K

Edited by Mike K

Don't think any one has observed this but Medal ribbon 3 is the opposite coloration of ribbon 4 so one can assume from this that it is also an athletic medal.

Sorry, but in fact I meant The ribbons 3 and 4.... and not 4 and 5... :P Sorry for this.

The answer now has been given...

Cheers.

Ch.