News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare Specimen of the Order of the Two Rivers Breast Badge

Guest IMHF

Iraqi art frame of a rare Specimen of the Order of the Two Rivers/Wisam al-Rafidain:

Breast Badge

These frames are still in Baghdad, Iraq in my friends antique shop, the only problem is that he will not sell Them. These rare scetches of a design from the Company for the Iraqi Government to view.

These are very Rare:

Edited by IMHF

Another Picture art of a Design of the Wisam al-Rafidain/Order of the Two Rivers "Rosette" Military

Edited by IMHF

Ed

They are very beautiful: Be a great Item in an iraqi ODM Collection. Thank you for your viewing and information.

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

I would agree with Ed that this is a preliminary Bertrand design for a post 1958 issue of the Order. which for whatever reason was never manufactured. After the revolution the premier award was the Order of the Republic which was a short lived order falling into abeyance after Qaseem was overthrown and then the Order of Al Rafidain was re-instituted. What is interesting is that the design in the centre of the proposed award was actually used on the reverse of the Order of the Republic - the 1959 law states:

a three dimensional pattern oval in shape and in the middle equilateral triangle written in it the letter ?G? in Koufic script and represents the strength of the army and its merging with the people.

"G" I am assuming also is the fist letter of Republic and Army - Goumhouriya and Geish respectively - the letter "J" can also be used.

Regards,

Owain

Designs appear clearly identifiable as Bertrand work [ use of white ink titles, card stock colors and three dimensional shading technique]. The title penmanship is also distinctive.

What ever they are I wish they were in my collection: these are in Baghdad, Iraq in my friends Antique shop. It seems like he doesn't want to sale anything.

Lorenzo,

This is the Order of the Republic instituted by Qassem to replace the Order of the Rafidain. In two classes, both neck badges (1st class yes and proabably 2nd class also a neck badge), civil and military divisions with crossed swords on the suspension wreath to differentiate these divisions. manufactured by Huguenin. I belive the 2nd class does not have the sunburst outer rim. At $2,500 a bit too much for my pocket - towards $1,500 would be more to my liking but it is a very very scarce piece and yours looks to be in good conditon. I was offered a similar grade in 200 for $600 but it was so badly damaged I passed on it - no regrets. Your next challenge is to get some ribbon!

Owain

P.S. After Qassem's overthrow this order as with the obverse badge which was on the flag of the new republic became obsolete and the Rafidain was revived in its Republican format

Owain

So this drawing is of the 2nd class due to not having the sun raise? Is this worn around the neck or on the ribbon bar?

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Owain

Is the original case of issue,it looks like it would have a ribbon to mount on the breast pocket of the unifom. See the indent in the center of the case made for a full ribbon. Thats what it looks like to me, what do you think?

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF