News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2008

(...)

Including the (wrong) answers, it seems, that the vessel:

- is NOT a torpedo-boat (too short!)

- is NOT a submarine

(...)

Christian

Back from Russia this night, and back here!!!! :beer:

Christian, what is leading you to think it is not a submarine ? Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see any indication of this...

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

• Replies 634
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me just make a guess here. I have a feeling this ship was a submarine. Might it have been the S class (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_S_class_submarine), initially a collaborative project between the Germans and Soviets that eventually resulted two different submarines that often faced each other in battle?

And, RedMaestro, welcome to the Quiz!!!! :beer: Keep searching!!!! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

And, RedMaestro, welcome to the Quiz!!!! :beer: Keep searching!!!! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Thanks Christophe!

I'm taking another guess, again a submarine. Is it the Amerikansky Golland (American Holland) class sub (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Holland_class_submarines)? These were buit before the 1930's, but were still in service during WWII.

-Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

Christian, what is leading you to think it is not a submarine ? Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see any indication of this...

Dear Christophe,

you are right - my mistake :blush: and I brought back the submarines in post #350 :D .

First I guessed, that a vessel HAS to be a surface-ship, because a sub had been never called a "vessel" - either a boat or a cruiser (the really large ones).

I guess, that Alex (RedMaestro) might be on the right track :jumping: .

There had been a fruitile collaboration between the German Reichswehr and the RKKA till 1933 in some (rather) high-tech fields: Aircrafts, tanks and subs.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

So, I just leave for a couple of days, and sparks start flying all over! (well, almost)

Christian, nice summing up of hints, should I add "as usual".

I believe that you guys are definitely on the right track; now, let's remember that the international community extends beyond simply Germany :rolleyes:

RedMaestro, good to see you here! Very nice suggestions you have made so far, unfortunately, close but no cigar.

Marc

Eureka jumping.gif! I think I've got it (and if I do, what a great 100th post it will be)!

The HMS L55 was a British submarine which was sunk off the cost of Tallinn after engaging soviet ships. It is unclear whether the sub was sunk by a mine or hostile fire (in which case, it would be the only British vessel ever sunk by a soviet ship). The remains of the crew members were returned to the HMS Champion by the merchant ship Truro. In 1928, the soviets raised the ship and repaired it. It entered service in the Red Navy as the Bezbozhnik (Atheist), and was used as a training ship until it was damaged. The sub also served as a model for the soviet L class submarine. It was scrapped in the 50's.

The ship's original captain was Lieutenant C.M.S. Chapman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_L55

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/ch...dral/baltic.htm

-Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

Dear Alex,

I am sure, that you have got the correct answer - congratulations :cheers::D:jumping: .

I would have never found the solution of Marc's tricky puzzle :blush: .

Christian

Eureka jumping.gif! I think I've got it (and if I do, what a great 100th post it will be)!

The HMS L55 was a British submarine which was sunk off the cost of Tallinn after engaging soviet ships. It is unclear whether the sub was sunk by a mine or hostile fire (in which case, it would be the only British vessel ever sunk by a soviet ship). The remains of the crew members were returned to the HMS Champion by the merchant ship Truro. In 1928, the soviets raised the ship and repaired it. It entered service in the Red Navy as the Bezbozhnik (Atheist), and was used as a training ship until it was damaged. The sub also served as a model for the soviet L class submarine. It was scrapped in the 50's.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_L55" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_L55</a>

-Alex

Eureka :jumping: ! I think I've got it (and if I do, what a great 100th post it will be)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_L55

-Alex

Alex,

Congratulation, this is indeed the right answer, and nice to get it on your 100th post!

I apologize for the delay taken to confirm your right answer, business sometimes becomes a priority.

So, the next question is yours :jumping:

Marc

Yay! jumping.gif Victory #1!

I was born on October 9th, 1904. I was a master of my profession, earning the Shevchenko Prize for my work. I almost received an even higher award, but I was forced to decline candidature for political reasons. I was a member of Academy of Sciences in my native country, and also served in a number of political positions there, including deputy chairman of the council of ministers, the central committee, and supreme soviet. Additionally, I edited a number of different magazines, and was the head of the editing board of my country's encyclopedia.

1. Who am I?

2. What was my native country?

3. What prize did I almost win?

4. What soviet order did I help create?

I hope this isn't too hard or vague (or easy rolleyes.gif). Good luck jumping.gif

-Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

Dear Alex,

congratulations to your victory #1 :cheers::jumping:

I couldn't find any complete list of the "Shevchenko-Prize-Winners" in the internet :( .

The sub-question of the Soviet-order-creation is interesting :D . According to his age, it might be one of the GPW-orders, or one of the later Brezhnev-orders :unsure: .

Christian

Yay! jumping.gif Victory #1!

I was born on October 9th, 1904. I was a master of my profession, earning the Shevchenko Prize for my work. I almost received an even higher award, but I was forced to decline candidature for political reasons. I was a member of Academy of Sciences in my native country, and also served in a number of political positions there, including deputy chairman of the council of ministers, the central committee, and supreme soviet. Additionally, I edited a number of different magazines, and was the head of the editing board of my country's encyclopedia.

1. Who am I?

I hope this isn't too hard or vague (or easy rolleyes.gif). Good luck jumping.gif

-Alex

Hi Alex,

Congratulations for your victory #1 !!! :jumping::jumping:

Here are my suggestions for your challenge :

1. Who am I?

Mykola Bazhan, poet, writer, translator, and Soviet Ukrainian political and cultural figure.

Ukraine

Stalin Prize of Literature (he got the 2nd Class only)

Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky

Am I far ? :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

While waiting for Alex's answer, I am updating the stats...

Quiz 2008 :

* 24 questions asked,

* with 362 answers,

* and viewed more than 2,750 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2008 :

* 7 : Marc (Lapa)

* 5 : Christian (Zulus)

* 3 : Frank (Knarf)

* 2 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Christophe

* 1 : Alex (RedMaestro), Jim (JimZ) & Wild Card

Complete statistics give since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 195 questions asked,

* with 2,507 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 25,500 times.

* 39 Members of the Forum played, and 29 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 40 : Christian (Zulus)

* 34 : Christophe

* 15 : Frank (Knarf)

* 13 : Jim (JimZ)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet)

* 8 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I & Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Dan (Hauptman) & Wild Card.

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida) & Kim (Kimj).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Alex (RedMaestro), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Filip (Drugo), Rick (Stogieman) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's wait for Alex's answer to the 195th question !!!! :jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Alex,

Congratulations for your victory #1 !!! :jumping::jumping:

Here are my suggestions for your challenge :

1. Who am I?

Mykola Bazhan, poet, writer, translator, and Soviet Ukrainian political and cultural figure.

Ukraine

Stalin Prize of Literature (he got the 2nd Class only)

Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky

Am I far ? :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Nice job Christophe! jumping.gif Your answers to #'s 1, 2, and 4 are all correct! cheers.gif

As for #3, that wasn't quite what I had in mind, but is still correct. In fact, I actually didn't know he was awarded the stalin prize, so I learned something new here! According to what I found, he was nominated for the Nobel Prize for literature, but soviet authorities forced him to refuse. Maybe the stalin prize was to make up for that?

So once again, congrats! beer.gif The next question is yours!

-Alex

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for your kind words, and the victory. :beer:

For our information, please, do you have more details on how Mykola Bazhan helped to create the Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky ? Thsi would be certainly an inetresting story to know...

About Mykola Bazhan, a few details of his life, from this site :

http://www.dompavlov.com/bazhan.htm

"Bazhan, Mykola, b 9 October 1904 in Kamianets-Podilskyi, d 23 November 1983 in Kyiv. Poet, writer, translator, and Soviet Ukrainian political and cultural figure; full member of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR from 1951. One of the most prominent representatives of the literary renaissance of the 1920s, he wrote screenplays, edited the journal Kino, and was associated with the literary groups Vaplite and Nova Generatsiia and the journal Literaturnyi iarmarok. Bazhan's poems were first published in 1923, but he gained recognition for the collections 17-i patrul' (The 17th Patrol, 1926). With Riz'blena tin' (The Sculptured Shadow, 1927), and especially Budivli (Buildings, 1929), Bazhan abandoned futurism and constructivism and emerged as a romantic expressionist (see Expressionism), whose poems were characterized by dynamism, unusual imagery, monumentalism, and frequent references to the Ukrainian past.

In the poem ?Budivli? Bazhan treats historical themes, seeking a link between the modern era, the Middle Ages, and the Ukrainian baroque of the Cossack state. ?Budivli? and the poems ?Rozmova serdets' ?(Heart-to-Heart Talk), in which he presented an unusually harsh assessment of Russia, ?Hofmanova nich? (Hoffman's Night, 1929), ?Sliptsi? (The Blind Beggars, 1933), ?Trylohiia prystrasty? (Trilogy of Passion, 1933), and others display an original poetic style: a bold statement of theme, a rich vocabulary replete with archaisms, syntactic complexity, an abundance of metaphor, and inventive rhyme. These poems, as well as the collections Doroha (The Road, 1930) and Poezi? (Poems, 1930), aroused harsh criticism of Bazhan: he was accused of ?detachment from Soviet reality?, ?idealism?, and nationalism.

During the terror of 1934?7 Bazhan wrote the trilogy Bezsmertia (Immortality, 1935?7), which was dedicated to S. Kirov, and entered the company of poets enjoying official recognition. His later works, written in the spirit of Stalinist patriotism, all belong to the corpus of official Soviet poetry. These include the collections Bat?ky i syny (Fathers and Sons, 1938), Iamby (Iambs, 1940), Klych vozhdia (The Call of the Leader, 1942), and V dni viiny (In the Days of War, 1945); the collections awarded the Stalin Prize ? Kliatva (Oath, 1941), Danylo Halyts?kyi (Danylo of Halych, 1942), Stalinhrads?kyi zoshyt (Stalingrad Notebook, 1943), and Anhliis?ki vrazhennia (English Impressions, 1948); and the collections Virshi i poemy (Poetry and Long Poems, 1949), Bilia Spas?ko? vezhi (Near the Savior's Tower, 1952), Ioho im?ia (His Name, 1952), Honets (The Chaser, 1954), Iednist? (Unity, 1954), Tvory (Works, 1946?7), and Vybrane (Selected Works, 1951, from which poems of the early period were omitted). After Joseph Stalin's death Bazhan did not take part in the cultural renaissance launched by the Shestydesiatnyky (poets of the sixties); his later collections and poems, Iasa (1960), Italiis?ki zustrichi (Meetings in Italy, 1961), Polit kriz' buriu (Flight through the Storm, 1964, for which he received the Shevchenko Prize [see Prizes and awards]), Umans?ki spohady (Memories of Uman, 1972), Nichni rozdumy staroho maistra (Nocturnal Reflections of an Old Master, 1976), and others, were also written in the spirit of Party ideology. Bazhan's translation of S. Rustaveli's poem Vytiaz' u tyhrovii shkuri (The Knight in the Tiger Skin, 1927) was published to great critical acclaim, and he has produced many masterful translations from Georgian, Russian, and Polish, as well as of the poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke. Bazhan is also the author of literary studies, reviews, and memoirs.

With the outbreak of war in 1941 Bazhan emerged as a leading political figure. He was editor of the newspaper Za Radians?ku Ukra?nu!, deputy chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR (1943?8), a long-term member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine and deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the Ukrainian SSR and of the USSR, and head of the Writers' Union of Ukraine (1953?9). From 1958 he headed the editorial board of the Ukrainian Soviet Encyclopedia publishing house and served as editor-in-chief of many of its publications."

Cheers.

Ch.

And an updated version of the stats :

Quiz 2008 :

* 24 questions asked,

* with 365 answers,

* and viewed more than 2,770 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2008 :

* 5 : Christian (Zulus)

* 3 : Christophe & Frank (Knarf)

* 2 : Auke (Ferdinand)

* 1 : Alex (RedMaestro), Jim (JimZ) & Wild Card

Complete statistics give since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 195 questions asked,

* with 2,510 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 25,500 times.

* 39 Members of the Forum played, and 29 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 40 : Christian (Zulus)

* 35 : Christophe

* 15 : Frank (Knarf)

* 13 : Jim (JimZ)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet)

* 8 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I & Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Dan (Hauptman) & Wild Card.

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida) & Kim (Kimj).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Alex (RedMaestro), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Filip (Drugo), Rick (Stogieman) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 196th question, mine !!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Question #196

In 1970, as part of the Detente policy between the two Great Powers, the USSR returned "something" to the USA. The object returned on the occasion of this gesture has been loaded onboard a US ship, on the occasion of a ceremony that took place in the Soviet Union.

Here are the questions :

1. When exactly did this gesture took place (precise date) ?

2. Where ?

3. What was this object ?

4. How did this object found his way into Soviet hands ?

5. Which US ship was it ? And what is the Soviet "link" this ship had ?

6. Where is this object now ?

The winner will be the first completely answering all 6 questions.

Good hunt and good luck!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Hello

Sept 8 1970

Murmansk

BP 1227 (Apollo Capsule for training purposes

had been lost during training in Bay of Biscaye (Stupid i..) found by a soviet trawler

Ship: Ice breaker Southwind which has been transferred to SU on 25th March 194(name Kapitan Belousov) and has been given back to US five years later

under name Atka until 31. Oct. 1966 and served in Coast Guard under old name Southwind

The capsule is now in the city of Grand Rapids as a timecapsule to be opened in 2076.( You are all invited to the opening)

For the Soviets it was no Problem to give back the capsule because it was empty

regards

Frank

and back to work :Cat-Scratch:

Hello

here we go again

I was born in Dec. 1916 and died 1980 in Nizhny Novgorod. I created some high speed ships with a passenger capacity of up to 150 pers. and a speed up to 100 km/h.

For a certain project I was supported by Mr. Ustinov. In 1980 something went wrong and Mr. Sokolov stopped the program.

Questions:

1.What was the Project?

2.What was the length of the Item we have built in 1972 and were is it now?

3. Why was it not possible to detect the item by radar?

Easy to answer

regards

Frank :cheers::cheers:

Hi Frank,

You are talking about Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeev (December 18, 1916, Novozybkov ? February 9, 1980, Nizhny Novgorod, USSR). He was a designer of highspeed shipbuilding. He invented and designed the world's first Ekranoplans.

1.What was the Project?

The project was the KM or "korabl-maket", the largest ekranoplan ever built It was one of the first very successful vehicles designed by Alexeev and built by his Central Hydrofoil Design Bureau. The KM was intended as a test platform to examine the possibilities of the "Wing In Ground" (WIG) effect.

Dubbed A-90 "Orlyonok" ("Eaglet"), this 140 tonne, 58 metre long aircraft had its maiden flight in 1972.

The only three operational A-90 Orlyonok ekranoplans built (with renewed hull design) and one Lun-class ekranoplan remains at a naval base near Kaspiysk

She flied only a few meters above water, saving energy and staying below enemy radar.

Below is a pic of the Ekranoplan KM 'Caspian Sea Monster'.

Ch.

Dear Christophe,

congratulations to your victory :cheers: .

I have been to slow - as usual :blush: .

As far, as I have read, the Iranian Navy copied that old Soviet concept of "Stealth-Boats" somehow, but in much smaller scale.

Christian

Hi Frank,

You are talking about Rostislav Evgenievich Alexeev (December 18, 1916, Novozybkov ? February 9, 1980, Nizhny Novgorod, USSR). He was a designer of highspeed shipbuilding. He invented and designed the world's first Ekranoplans.

1.What was the Project?

The project was the KM or "korabl-maket", the largest ekranoplan ever built It was one of the first very successful vehicles designed by Alexeev and built by his Central Hydrofoil Design Bureau. The KM was intended as a test platform to examine the possibilities of the "Wing In Ground" (WIG) effect.

Dubbed A-90 "Orlyonok" ("Eaglet"), this 140 tonne, 58 metre long aircraft had its maiden flight in 1972.

The only three operational A-90 Orlyonok ekranoplans built (with renewed hull design) and one Lun-class ekranoplan remains at a naval base near Kaspiysk

She flied only a few meters above water, saving energy and staying below enemy radar.

Below is a pic of the Ekranoplan KM 'Caspian Sea Monster'.

Ch.