News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2008

• Replies 634
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Marc,

Are you sure ? :rolleyes:

Aren't you confusing with the Rossia (Rossiya) ? :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

I don't believe that I am; that is the information that has been going around here for a few years already.

Marc

No pb, Marc let's the pictures talk... :rolleyes:

Here is the Rossia, as pictured in Oct. 2006. It is currently dismantling.

I have more recent pictures (showing neartly nothing emerging from the ground) but can't put my hands on them... Maybe later...

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Christophe,

I don't believe that I am; that is the information that has been going around here for a few years already.

Marc

Right, let's get back to business. Here is a bit of a cryptic one for a change :rolleyes:

3461 -> 347 -> 206

206 - 72 - 105 = 29

29 -> 20

One of six, I could have been first but ended up neither.

My 2-part question is therefore pretty straightforward :speechless1:

1) What is the exact meaning of the figures above?

2) Who am I?

Happy trails!

Marc

Now, the Moskva before it has been dismantled and currently rebuilt...

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Christophe,

Well, I definitely have to agree with you on this one, they are indeed rebuilding it. Just goes to show that being close to the source may not always be best.

Marc

Nice question!!

The Central Committee of the Soviet Union Communist Party and the Ministry Council of USSR singed an order on cosmonaut training in May 1959.

S.P. Korolev proposed: For that kind of business we need experienced pilots, first of all, jet-fighters pilots. A jet fighter pilot is a required universal person. He flies a single-seat, high-speed jet in the stratosphere. He is a pilot, a navigator, a radio operator, a flight engineer and ?

3461 jet fighters pilots aged up to 35, applied for cosmonaut candidates, were considered during the first selection. Only 347 were invited for the initial interview. After the interview and medical examination 206 pilots were allowed for the further medical examination at The Central Air Force Scientific and Research hospital from October 1959 to April 1960. Then out of 206 pilots admitted to the Central Hospital 72 pilots refused from passing next medical examination, 105 pilots did not pass it because of health problems. Later, out of 29 pilots who succeed in all the medical tests only 20 people were selected and enrolled as first cosmonaut-students.

[...]

The first group of six cosmonauts (they were Yu. A. Gagarin, G.S. Titov, G.G. Nelubov, A.G Nikolaev, P.R. Popovich, V.F. Bykovsky) took their tests on readiness to fly the Vostok space vehicle on January 17 and 18,1961.

So.. out of these 6:

Gagarin was on Vostok 1

Titov was on Vostok 2

Nikolaev was on Vostok 3

Popovich was on Vostok 4

Bykovsky was on Vostok 5

Tereshkova was on Vostok 6

Poor guy Nelubov was arrested in 63 for being drunk and hence was kicked out of the program and hence didn't end up going in space!

So Nelubov is our man!

Edited by marcotk

Nice question!!

The Central Committee of the Soviet Union Communist Party and the Ministry Council of USSR singed an order on cosmonaut training in May 1959.

S.P. Korolev proposed: For that kind of business we need experienced pilots, first of all, jet-fighters pilots. A jet fighter pilot is a required universal person. He flies a single-seat, high-speed jet in the stratosphere. He is a pilot, a navigator, a radio operator, a flight engineer and ?

3461 jet fighters pilots aged up to 35, applied for cosmonaut candidates, were considered during the first selection. Only 347 were invited for the initial interview. After the interview and medical examination 206 pilots were allowed for the further medical examination at The Central Air Force Scientific and Research hospital from October 1959 to April 1960. Then out of 206 pilots admitted to the Central Hospital 72 pilots refused from passing next medical examination, 105 pilots did not pass it because of health problems. Later, out of 29 pilots who succeed in all the medical tests only 20 people were selected and enrolled as first cosmonaut-students.

[...]

The first group of six cosmonauts (they were Yu. A. Gagarin, G.S. Titov, G.G. Nelubov, A.G Nikolaev, P.R. Popovich, V.F. Bykovsky) took their tests on readiness to fly the Vostok space vehicle on January 17 and 18,1961.

So.. out of these 6:

Gagarin was on Vostok 1

Titov was on Vostok 2

Nikolaev was on Vostok 3

Popovich was on Vostok 4

Bykovsky was on Vostok 5

Tereshkova was on Vostok 6

Poor guy Nelubov was arrested in 63 for being drunk and hence was kicked out of the program and hence didn't end up going in space!

So Nelubov is our man!

Marco,

What can I say beside "Congratulations". This is as complete and perfect an answer as one could expect :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Interesting, when I ask questions that I think should be rather easy and straightforward, no one seems to find the answer, yet those questions that I though would be rather though to crack barely stand the test of a few hours. Go figure :speechless:

OK, Marco, your next up to bat!

Marc

Edited by Lapa

Marco,

What can I say beside "Congratulations". This is as complete and perfect an answer as one could expect :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Interesting, when I ask questions that I think should be rather easy and straightforward, no one seems to find the answer, yet those questions that I though would be rather though to crack barely stand the test of a few hours. Go figure :speechless:

OK, Marco, your next up to bat!

Marc

Thanks!

Will come shortly!! :cheers: :cheers:

So here it is! Italian/Soviet related question!!

I was a really important Italian political figure. Stalin liked me a lot and even proposed me an important political position. And I also had a city in USSR named after me!

Who Am I?

Which position did Stalin offer me?

What's the city?

What was done in this city that was really famous?

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

Edited by marcotk

So here it is! Italian/Soviet related question!!

I was a really important Italian political figure. Stalin liked me a lot and even proposed me an important political position. And I also had a city in USSR named after me!

Who Am I?

Which position did Stalin offer me?

What's the city?

What was done in this city that was really famous?

Good Luck! :rolleyes:

Marco,

I believe that I am Palmiro Toggliatti.

In 1935, I was named secretary of the Komintern under the pseudonym of Ercole Ercoli.

The city is Tolyatti, on the Volga, where AvtoVAZ (Lada) was established with the cooperation of Fiat.

Marc

Marc, what to say! Super Fast and accurate!! :cheers::cheers:

Togliatti, was from 1927 till 1964 the leader of the Italian Communist party. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmiro_Togliatti)

In 1935, under the name Ercole Ercoli, he was named member of the secretariat of the Comintern.

Stalin asked him (he helped him getting rid of his "opposition" so he was a trustee) to lead the Cominform when the Comintern dissolved but he then

refused.

In 1964 Togliatti died in Yalta (on vacation) and hence the city Stavropol-na-Volge was renamed to Togliatti (Togliatti Grad). There the very famous

Ladas were produced.

So the ball to Marc! :cheers: :cheers:

Edited by marcotk

Thank you Marco!

Since you started in that direction, let's keep going.

When M.S. Gorbachev last visited France as Soviet President, he brought with him a unique and unusual gift.

1) What was that gift?

2) To whom was it presented?

Marc

Hi Marc,

I have no idea... :( I first thought it might be the horse Fran?ois Mitterrand received as a gift for his daughter, Mazarine Pingeot. But this was a akhal-teke horse offered in 1993 by the President of Turkmenistan... So, I have no idea...

The Others ? :rolleyes:

Ch.