News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2008

• Replies 634
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know this man. I know you know him. Just think about the 2nd question, it should help...

Dear Christophe,

many thanks for the hint :cheers: .

Working 60 years on one single subject, has to be a rather complex affair, rather high-tech .... :rolleyes:

Sorry ..., I am still in my office at the Military Command, leaving just now for a birthday celebration and tomorrow we have our National Celebration Day in Austria with me 14 hours on duty for the Armed Forces on the side of our field chaplain. So, I will have time to look again into my books on monday :( .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

KONSTANTIN SIMONOV :unsure: ?

Dear Christophe,

might he be the writer Konstantin Simonov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantin_Simonov , as a young colonel after receiving his first Order of Lenin (later he got 2 more, HSL in 1974, 6x Stalin-Prize and 1x Lenin-Prize) :unsure: ?

I guess, he wore an airforce uniform and had been a (senior) polit commissar besides writing about the GPW, love & war and publishing poems, what he did for about 60 years.

Christian

To all,

I will be away from internet during one week. Just think who could be the photographer, where could this pic have been done.... and you should find who is our man!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Sergey Vladimirovich Mikhalkov :jumping: :jumping:

Gentlemen,

comrade Mikhalkov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Mikhalkov worked for 60 years on the anthem of the Soviet Union / Russian Federation ;) .

The photograph had been shot in april 1945 in Vienna by the great Yevgeny Khaldei http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Khaldei , I guess.

I found two rather similar pics of our airforce major Mikhalkov in a book about the Soviets in Vienna:

Erich Klein, Yevgeny Khaldei, Olga Lander ? Die Russen in Wien - Die Befreiung ?sterreichs. Wien 1945. Augenzeugenberichte und ?ber 400 unpublizierte Fotos aus Russland

1995 | Falter Verlag, Wien

248 Seiten, Hardcover

EAN 9783854391418

Old Mikhalkov in april 2008 in the Kremlin:

Sergey Mikhalkov is the father of two world famous movie directors :D .

Christian

BTW: "Soyuz ..." is the beginning of the old Soviet anthem :P and I already asked another question about the Mikhalkov family in our quiz http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...st&p=153205 , which had been answered by Christophe.

Edited by Christian Zulus

Hi Christian,

Congratulations!!!! You are the winner !!!!! :jumping::jumping:

I know you could'nt know this one... :rolleyes:

You're right : he is Sergei Vladimirovich Mikhailkov.

He worked for 60 years on the anthem of the Soviet Union / Russian Federation.

This pic has been taken by Yevgeny Khaldei. His famous style can be recognised, here. I know you like, as I do, this famous photographer.

But, this pic has been taken in Berlin, not Vienna, in May 1945.

Congrats again!!! :beer:

Your turn, now...

Cheers.

Ch.

This pic has been taken by Yevgeny Khaldei. His famous style can be recognised, here. I know you like, as I do, this famous photographer.

But, this pic has been taken in Berlin, not Vienna, in May 1945.

Dear Christophe,

many thanks for your congratulations :cheers:

I haven't seen that Khaldei photograph before - are original proofs of this portrait on the market :unsure: ? (You know, I already have one very famous Khaldei-picture in my collection ...)

Christian

Question #216

Gentlemen,

as you know, my professional job is within the Catholic Field-Chaplain-Service at the Military Command of Vienna of the Austrian Armed Forces. So my question will be within the scope of my profession ;) . But it is an very, very easy one :D .

1) In which armies at the Eastern Front of WW II did we find the highest concentration of battle-field chaplains :unsure: ?

2) Which confession :unsure: ?

3) Show us at least one authentic photograph of these comrades in action at the Eastern Front :rolleyes: .

The winner is, who shows positive results at all 3 points :D .

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, I just tried to appear logical in answering your question. I have no other information, and even no picture... I browsed through the web without real success... :rolleyes:

If another Member has more to post about this, I will be happy to let him win this round. :jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...

If no one has better to propose, I will consider this question solved / answered, and will propose another challenge before tonight (Paris time).

Dear Christophe,

excellent idea :cheers: .

You are the winner - Polish Armies :D .

There is not much traffic in posting in the Soviet section - due to economic crisis and high prices for Soviet awards :unsure: ?

Christian

Here are a few stats :

Quiz 2008 :

* 45 questions asked,

* with 596 answers,

* and viewed more than 5,600 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2008 :

* 11 : Marc (Lapa)

* 7 : Christophe

* 6 : Christian (Zulus)

* 5 : Dan (Hauptman) & Frank (Knarf)

* 3 : Marco (marcotk)

* 2 : Alex (RedMaestro) & Auke (Ferdinand)

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Jim (JimZ) & Wild Card

Complete statistics since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 216 questions asked,

* with 2,741 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 30,200 times.

* 42 Members of the Forum played, and 31 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 41 : Christian (Zulus)

* 39 : Christophe

* 17 : Frank (Knarf)

* 13 : Jim (JimZ)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet) & Marc (Lapa)

* 10 : Dan (Hauptman)

* 8 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I & Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Wild Card.

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida), Kim (Kimj) & Marco (marcotk).

* 2 : Alex (RedMaestro), Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Filip (Drugo), Rick (Stogieman) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 217th question, mine !! :jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Longest serving #1 "good answerer" :unsure: ?

Dear Christophe,

do you have any statistics - as you published some time ago - , who is the longest serving #1 "good answerer" :unsure: ?

Might be me ... :D

But there is a narrow gap between 39 (Christophe, France) and 41 (Christian, Austria) ... :rolleyes:

Christian

Hi Christian,

You are THE number 1 in number of victories in our quiz, and the Longest serving #1 "good answerer" (as you call it, or the one who have been the longest Number 1 in victories since the beginning of the quiz). :jumping:

I had forgotten these small stats. :rolleyes:

Here are the ones who have been Number 1 in victories since the beginning of the quiz.

This indicates :

* Name - (Victory N? who brought the status of N?1)

* Period of time being N?1 - Number of days being N?1

Here is an example :

* Dave (Navy FCO) - 1 - 01.11.05 / 04.12.05 - 34 days.

Means :

* Dave has been N?1 with his 1st victory. He has been N?1 from 01.11.05 to 04.12.05, during 34 days.

Here are the results :

* Dave (Navy FCO) - 1 - 01.11.05 / 04.12.05 - 34 days.

* Christophe - 2 - 04.12.05 / 12.02.06 - 70 days.

* Bryan (Soviet) - 4 - 12.02.06 / 08.09.06 - 215 days.

* Christophe - 6 - 08.09.06 / 30.11.06 - 84 days.

* Bryan (Soviet) - 8 - 30.11.06 / 03.03.07 - 94 days.

* Christophe - 10 - 03.03.07 / 12.03.07 - 10 days.

* Christian (Zulus) - 11 - 12.03.07 / 12.12.08 - 641 days.

In adding all these results, this gives as a grand total :

* Christian (Zulus) - 641+ days.

* Bryan (Soviet) - 309 days.

* Christophe - 164 days.

* Dave (Navy FCO) - 34 days.

So, you are by far the N?1 of the Quiz!!!!! :beer:

But, keep in mind that Marc (Lapa) is the N?1 for good answers in the Quiz 2008. :rolleyes:

Great job from all!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe