News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Genghis Khan

IVB

Hello!

I found two interesting articles in the web:

RIA "News", 10.04.2002

"Mongolia is establishing new highest state award ? "Order of Genghis Khan". This is initiative of the president of Mongolia Natsagiin Bagabandi according to right provided him by Constitution. Sketch, as well as the projects of statute and regulations of award developed by working group, and now it's in considering of the parliament of Mongolia.

New order will be the main state award of Mongolia. Unlike tradition to wear orders and medals on the left breast, "Order of Genghis Khan" will be worn on the neck ribbon. It will be annexed small badge for permanent wearing on clothes.

It is assumed, what the first orders will be manufactured and awarded at the time of 3rd May 2002 ? 840th anniversary of the birthday of Genghis Khan."

RIA "News", 18.05.2002

"Great State Khural of Mongolia on its sitting accepted decree about establishment of new highest state award - "Order of Genghis Khan". On Saturday, press service of Mongol parliament reported to RIA "News", "order is called to play important role to immortalize the name of Genghis Khan - the founder of united Mongol state".

"Order of Genghis Khan" will be manufactured from gold, silver and precious stones. It costs will compose 3.2 millions of tugriks (about $3000).

According to the decree of Mongol parliament, every recepient of this order will receive also money prize of 360 thousands of tugriks ($330)."

Any info about this?

Regards, IVB

Edited by IVB

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

Whatever that may be, it is not the Order of Chengis Khan, despite what it says. The phrase "fantasy-fake" comes to mind. We know many Russian collectors have deep pockets, maybe they have active imaginations as well. That isn't even the ugly "Order of Chingis Khan" created by the Mongolian Democratic Party (B 48). It is worse than that!

Megan: While three classes have been authorised, only the first has even been awarded to date (the collar and badge) and that only twice (to presidents N. Bagabandi and N. Enkhbayar); the second and third classes have, so far as I know, not even been manufactured. While it could be listed, I think not.

Without permission (and I hate doing this), I am posting Battushig's image to forestall further disinformation. I would have thought most have his book by now -- it is good immunization against epidemic outbreaks of imaginary medals -- but apparently not. See p. 44.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

No one has a clue on the post-1992 order of precendence (and there's scant enought by way of a guide to pre-1992 precedence). I have a question outstanding in UB on just that issue right now. I know the "second edition" will be doing more in this regard.

Very interesting. I have (and Battushig shows) the "school diamond" for this university, but we don't know much else and the badge you show is quite new. Will try to learn more. These are the sorts of things that should gop into the second edition of Battushig's book!

• 9 months later...