News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Certificate help EK2 please

hi

I could do with some help with this one please. Is it simply confirmation of issue of an EK2 that

was requested in 1934?.What is the reference to 14.10.1883 about-is this just his date of birth? Came with a KM marked cross and a waxy type paper packet that i have never seen before. any thoughts?

thnaks

andy

Hello Andy:

You are correct. This is an abstract of information from his official war records verifying that he was awarded the EKII on November 1, 1914. The 1883 listed after his name is indeed his date of birth.

This is a very interesting document and not often seen. It appears as though he somehow lost his original EKII award document and had to re-apply to the War Ministry to get this abstract confirming the award.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Guest Rick Research

I'm wondering whether this certificate was actually issued TO him or was FOR him. The heading that it came from the Department for War Losses and War Graves suggests that he was actually dead, and perhaps his ? widow needed some sort of ? pension advantage from his having been an EK2 recipient.

I think if he was still alive, this would have come from the Army.

first time i've seen this color, but the material/size/

configuration are consistent with packets used.

the cross appears-from this picture, at any rate-

to have been unworn. the ribbon, however, while

apparently unworn, is shorter than the standard

length issued with the EK.

hope this helps.

joe

Edited by joe campbell

• 2 months later...

I'm wondering whether this certificate was actually issued TO him or was FOR him. The heading that it came from the Department for War Losses and War Graves suggests that he was actually dead, and perhaps his ? widow needed some sort of ? pension advantage from his having been an EK2 recipient.

I think if he was still alive, this would have come from the Army.

Maybe not, maybe not....

I would guess that they simply pushed the job of Kriegsstamrollen over to the war losses dept. There is a stamp on the doc up there that says responsible for Stamrollen. as i think there were just one copy of these I think they were to take over that job as well.

I have some documents somewhere that shows all the vetran affairs/POW etc departments laying off personnel and restructuring around this time. I think by then most of their work was done and why have 3 departments when one would do.

I bet if this doc had been issued 6 months later the dept would have had a completely other name.

• 2 months later...