News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yet another recent addition. Please correct me if I have the name wrong. I asked two native Russians to translate for me, but they both had a hard time with it and said it was a non-Russian name. The medal came direct from Latvia, so that might explain it. Research should be interesting for this one.

Edited by RedMaestro

(And nice to see that SOMEONE is getting SOME research back these days.)

I received quite a lot of research results over the last couple of months, the last batch two weeks ago. I'm not experiencing any slowing down at all :unsure:

Edited by Ferdinand

I received quite a lot of research results over the last couple of months, the last batch two weeks ago. I'm not experiencing any slowing down at all :unsure:

Glad someone is having luck -- I am having ZERO (even response).

And a major recent (~ $500) melt-down in research.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Strange, as we all use the same research intermediary. I submitted my requests early December 2007 and the research took less then two months. Unfortunately I still have some requests from 2006 and early 2007 pending - I think I can write these off as dead-end research. :(

I hope you guys will get some results soon too.

Auke

Guest Rick Research

After ZERO on FOUR research requests from New Year's Week of 2007, yes 2007, I have just plain given up. Must be the dollar.

I would give his first name as Karl since there is no letter C in Russian. Sounds German, and I agree with Ed that this suggests a HIGHLY interesting reason, for October 1967. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

You should try Nota Bene with this request - he's pretty good with the info so long as the name is involved. As far as my other requests, I still have at least 30 pending dating as far back as 2006....I either got a huge run of "dead end" awards (which I doubt) or..... :unsure:

Dave

(greetings from somplace very, very warm and sandy...)

Agreed (and hi Dave!). If your item is documented, Nota Bene can do fairly well. The Usual Source has been slow and uncommunicative, mired in another auction I suspect. There is another possibility with whom I have a number of items that were previous dead-ends; we shall see.

• 2 months later...

Nota Bene informed me that this award too is unresearchable sad.gif And that's even more disappointing because this one promised to be interesting. Is there any possibility of another researcher being able to find something?

-Alex

Nota Bene informed me that this award too is unresearchable sad.gif And that's even more disappointing because this one promised to be interesting. Is there any possibility of another researcher being able to find something?

-Alex

In brief: Yes. Try.

Guest Rick Research

As I always understood things, Podolsk had the army and air force records only. So "not found" would then indicate (aside from records that remain classified or have been pulled or hidden or lost) a naval, state security, or (least likely) police award. If-- unless it is being turned into apartments and a shopping mall too--the naval archive doesn't work, that would leave KGB of some sort. Negative results, but at least an indication of where it should be...

not that I can imagine sales featuring "no research came back so it must be KGB" adding any national currency units of value to our collections! :cheeky:

I don't know why it never dawned on me before, but I could have told you that this award was/is nearly unresearchable.

It was awarded to a "foreigner" for his participation in the Russian Civil War. 28 October 1967 was the date of the Ukaz by which thousands of awards, from Lenin on down, were awarded to participants of the RCW who were nominated by their local deputies.

I have only had luck with a few of these, and that was when I knew where the person was from. All of the sections for this Ukaz are listed by region, and then by award...so if you don't know what region the person was from, you then would have to look through hundreds of pages of the Ukaz to look in each region under the Red Star recipients for each and find his name.

That's why you probably won't get research back on it. It's a LOT of legwork.

And, I can tell you it was awarded to a RCW veteran. There is no specific citation for it, as they were nominated by name only.

Hope that helps!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Latvians were the very first "muscle" for the Bolsheviks in 1917-- Drei probably KNEW Vladimir Iliich..... :rolleyes: