News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Timeline and order of precedence of "nuts"

Gentlemen,

there is an image with all "nuts" I identified till now (with exception of Subnor screw). On the left side you will find manufacturer and above type. You can see, I1, I2, I3, I4 = all IKOM nuts, similiar Z1,Z.. = for ZIN/ZNB.

Based on Order for National Merits 3rd class (mass order)

I found out screws to following s/n:

IKOM

s/n=type

1643=I1

34415=I2

99465=I1

58842=I2 (awarded in 1947)

59335=I2

44740=I2

60925=I2

108815=I3

118815=I3

118901=I3

130646=pin back

1. I1 is below #1643

2.Nut type I1 was changed to I2 between #1643 and #34415

3.Nut type I2 was changed to I3 between #60925 and #118901 (switch in 1947 or 1948)

4.I1 with s/n 99465 is strange.

ZIN/ZNB

s/n=type

72101=Z1

75489=Z1

80958=Z2

1.Below #72101 we have Z1

2.Switch from Z1 to Z2 took place between #72101 and 75489

If you look at your orders and post your data with and maybe date when this order was awarded than we will have better filling about YU OMD.

thank you

waldemar

Edited by Bryan

Thank you Bryan, :cheers:

you are right. Another screw used but not mentioned is the first screw made by 'Brother Knaus' in Zagreb. This is screw you can find on first order of Brotherhood and Unity 1st class, second type of Spomenica 1941, Order of National Liberation. First order were produced in second half of 1945.

IKOM was created in 1945 from Brother Knaus, 'Sorilini i Krivak' and some other small producers.

I think that the first IKOM screw (where IKOM as name is placed on screw) was I1.

best regards

waldemar

• 1 month later...

Thank you Gordon, you see that our englisch is not perfect. I'm happy that we understand what we mean even using not correct words.

More difficult is a situation when people use the same words and mean something different.

Thank you for your comment I will change terminology. :cheers:

all the best :cheers:

waldemar

wlodzimierz,

Thank you for being so understanding about my comment. It is not always easy for collectors to agree on terminology when two languages are involved as they are here. It is easy to see how a misunderstanding of English usage could occure with this type of badge. Badges that are attached to clothing with a threaded post and a nut are normally referred to, in English, as "screw back badges". The nut is said to "screw onto" the threaded post. So the word "screw" is used a number of times while there is no actual physical "screw" involved.

A number of times I have translated a Hungarian word into English to have one of the native speaking Hungarians disagree and use another English word, which he thinks is correct, but would not actually be used in the manner he suggested in the English language. We have not always been able to come to a mutual agreement becuase neither of us has a good enough understanding of the others native language.

Anyway, good luck with the book. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. I am working on a book on Hungarian military and civilian uniforms which will contain some badges associated with each organization. Interesting projects for both of us.

Regards,

Gordon