The Never Ending Ribbon Bars Of A Lifesaving Temporary Mecklenburg Baron

These came to live at my house back in July 2002, having been snarfled off eBay by the Evil Ricky:

After long perusal of Rank Lists and the HOH3X published roll, it was a time consuming but "easy" match with the Red Eagle, Lifesaving Medal, and HOH3X to Friedrich Freiherr von Massenbach, in Fusilier Regiment 39 when the war started.

AND from the 1921 Stammliste of Fusilier Regiment 90... his entire wartime service AND confirmation of his other WW1 awards:

This indicates that if they ever got around to publishing a regimental history, they had his photo "on file" in 1921.

Anybody got a face for him?

Soooooo, as of TODAY:

FRIEDRICH FREIHERR VON MASSENBACH

Born Coesfeld 5 January 1867, died Osnabr?ck 3 December 1939. See Starke Verlag Freiherrliche H?user band III/1959 p. 299.

German army 18.3.1886 to 1920

Kadettenkorps as charakterisiert F?hnrich

Sekondelieutenant 17.9.1887

Premierlieutenant 12.9.1894 O7o

Hauptmann 27.1.1901 P8p

Major 27.1.1913 Hh

Oberstleutnant 22.3.18 A2a

charakterisiert Oberst aD 1920

Originally commissioned in Infantry Regiment 78, in which he earned the Prussian Lifesaving Medal On Ribbon, awarded to him 1 June 1889. Transferred to the staff of Unteroffizierschule Ettlingen on the day he was promoted to Premierlieutenant. Adjutant of Landwehrbezirk Aurich 15.9.94. After promotion to Hauptmann, he was transferred to Infantry Regiment 159 on 12.9.02. Upon promotion to Major, he was again transferred, to the staff of Fusilier Regiment 39.

Wartime assignments are from the 1921 Stammliste of FR 90=

Commander of I. / FR 39 on the outbreak of war

Commander of III. / RIR 256

Commander of II. Errs. /J?ger Bn 7-- 27.11.-17.12.15

Commander of Reserve Infantry Regiment 256-- 31.12.15 and later of RIR 255

Commander of Fusilier Regiment 33-- 29.8.16

Assigned ?von der Armee? 5.2.17

Commander of Fusilier Regiment 90-- 2.5.17-19.8.18

HOH3X gazetted 27.11.17

1919/20 on Gefangenen Abnahme Kommission M?nster and later same in Haspe Westphalia

His two ribbon bars metal backings are Feldgrau painted with Feldgrau cloth backings. Placement of his MK2 and HOH3X ribbons on the 1917/18 bar are in correct "Mecklenburg Rules" precedence, worn while commander of FR 90.

Displayed with what he earned as pinbacks =