Jump to content
News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

    Nazi U-Boats Surrender from Maine to Florida

    Recommended Posts

    Many of you might have known about this but , I always found it interesting but never knew about the War Souvenirs being a local topic . BTW ..I goofed on the Thread Title . I meant to post " From Maine to Florida " as a sub title.

    The Shipyards in New Hampshire were very busy throughout the War ..right to the end.

    Captured U-boats set off World War II victory media blitz

    Portsmouth NH Naval Shipyard was the largest American submarine base on the Atlantic coast when Nazi Germany surrendered on May 7, 1945. The Yard became the natural site for the surrender of up to at least seven German U-boats operating in the region at the end of the war. Local excitement and media coverage increased as, one by one, the worn German U-boats were towed into Portsmouth Harbor. German prisoners were housed briefly at the "Castle," a giant re-enforced naval prison that still stands abandoned in the harbor today. At the time, German U-boats were considered the most sophisticated underwater technology on earth.

    What Really Happened in NH ?

    Four U-boats arrived at the Yard within a five-day period and the city was shot through with drama as locals clamored for details about their Nazi foe, long vilified in the national media, now defeated and at hand. Souvenir hunters did a healthy business as residents rubbernecked for glimpses of the crewmen and their high-tech, but battered German subs. German seaman were required to reveal the secrets of their subs which were later refit for use by America. The flow of news from the large press corps kept the story alive for days as the thrilling story unfolded -- a tale of battles, suicide and espionage -- and the clash of cultures at the end of a long war.

    One of the U-boats, famous for its super-quiet engines, was placed on display in Portsmouth Harbor for visitors to tour. It languished in the Piscataqua for almost a decade until it was acquired by the Museum of Science and Industry, and removed to Chicago in 1954 where it remains part of the museum display. (JDR)

    German boat U-805, the first Nazi submarine to surrender in New England waters, arrives in Portsmouth Harbor with American seamen seen here on board. Note rowboat in background. Many German souvenirs found their way into the city via a network of local onlookers. (AP Photo)

    Edited by Mike
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The First U-boat Arrives

    May 15, 1945

    Having surrendered in the North Atlantic to Allied forces the week before, the 245-foot German U-boat was towed into Portsmouth Harbor and moored near the Revolutionary War Fort McClary. The Navy tug US Dekanisora with dozens of members of the press met the sub off the Isles of Shoals. A large patch of green water, dyed with chemicals, was the spot marked for the rendezvous.

    Three German officers with "surly expressionless faces" were seen on deck and a near accident occurred when the U-boat cut across in front of the press tug, missing by about 15 feet and angering the tug captain.

    The official surrender took place at Kitt's Rock Buoy, one mile out from Whaleback Lighthouse at the entrance to the harbor at 4:25pm. After the ship arrived at the navy yard in Kittery and publicity photos were taken, 27 crewmen and four officers were removed to the naval prison by bus.

    Two More Subs Surrender

    May 16, 1945

    Two more surrendered U-boats arrived in a less formal process this day. The U-873 arrived in Portsmouth Harbor at 2pm and the U-1228 arrived that evening.

    A reaction of "unbounded excitement" occurred in the evening when a UPI teletype revealed that another German sub had been captured in the Newfoundland area with three high-ranking German officials and two dead Japanese scientists aboard. Fritz Steinhoff, captain of the 305-foot U-boat 873, now already in harbor, announced that he would give a press concfered soon.

    (German officers aboard the U-805 as it is escorted to Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine, then the largest American submarine base in the Northeast in 1945. (AP Photo))

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Interview with Nazi Crew

    May 17, 1945

    Portsmouth radio news reporter Charlie Gray scooped the world with his morning radio report of an interview with German U-boat commanders, Oberleutnant Albert Finster, aged 29, was described by local radio as a "typical dyed-in-the-wool Nazi" when he said there was no difference between a good German and a good Nazi. The submarine lietenant stated that England was to blame for the war and that his native town of Hamburg had been ruined by Allied bombing. When shown a copy of German war atrocities in Life magazine, ship's cook Reiner Landgraf, 20, of Leipzig said the pictures were faked. The crew member stated that his ship had fired no torpedoes at Allied targets in its brief career.

    In the morning 58 men aboard the U-1228 were brought to Portsmouth Yard. Reporters observed that this crew appeared healthier than earlier men. This sub, unlike the earlier two, was immaculate, according to USN Comndr. J. Kincair Kimmell. Kimmell told reporters that the U-873 had fired on a tanker while in waters off Norway within the last two weeks. Six of the ship's 15 torpedoes were missing at the time of capture.

    Rampant Speculation

    May 18, 1945

    Awaiting the arrival of the fourth captured submarine, reporters openly speculated on the rumors that the sub contained upper echelon Lufwafer officers and two dead Japanese aviation experts. (Note: The Japanese, it was later reported, committed suicide after drinking Luminal. A civilian V-2 rocket expert, three Luftwafer generals, hidden uranium oxide and chemicals stashed in the hull -- all originally headed for Japan during a period when the war was continuing in the Pacific.)

    Original caption reads: "Its fangs yanked out, this prize U-boat will prey no more upon Allied shipping in the Atlantic." The captured U-805 arrives in the Piscataqua in May 1945. (International News Photos)

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The Big Prize Arrives

    May 19, 1945

    The 1,600-ton U-234 arrived at the lower harbor or Portsmouth at 7:30 in the morning. Key prisoner Luftwafer leutnant Ulrich Kessler was described as "a typical Hollywood version of a German general."

    "He wore a long leather greatcoat," the WHEB evening news report continued, "which reached to his ankles, highly polished leather boots and an Iron Cross which hung tightly about his neck. He posed for newsreel cameramen and seemed to be enjoying the publicity he was receiving. He was tall and wore white gloves."

    After the crew was transferred to the Portsmouth Naval Prison by the Coast Guard, the captured sub was carefully searched for the bodies of the Japanese scientists, but they were not found. The crewmen, wearing "nondescript" uniforms, were described as generally well-fed, ruddy and sporting new haircuts. In a story that went unreported on the radio, crewmen claimed that they had been "victims" of the Norwegian Underground while docked there, since many of the sailors had received venereal diseases from prostitutes.

    The local press relished in reports from the Naval Prison that Oberleutnant Barndardelli, skipper of the U-805, had complained about the food, refused to eat cafeteria style and dine with his own crewmen. The reporter then detailed the menu for the prisoner's meal -- lamb stew, steamed rice, lettuce and tomato salad, pickled beets, onions, cornbread and butter and stewed peaches and tea. The prisoners were transferred to Washington soon after.

    Then the following news appeared on the wires from the first of the German prisoners already transferred to Boston: The skipper of one of four surrendered German submarines now at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, has committed suicide in his cell at the Charles Street Jail. Army authorities said that Kapitanleutnant Fritz Steinhoff, commander of the U-873 broke his spectacles and used a jagged piece of lens to slash one of his wrists." Steinhoff was taken to a Boston hospital where he died.

    Off to Washington

    May 21, 1945

    Prize captive Generalleutnant Ulrich Kessler spoke to reporters in fluent English with a "decidedly Oxford accent" a reporter noted. Asked how he felt about the surrender, he replied, "I was in the last World War. I've been through it before. I'll probably go through it again."

    Naval authorities expressed concern over the number of souvenirs that were finding their way into the city. Missing were dextrose "pep" pills, revolvers, canned goods, parts of German uniforms, many of which reached the hands of Portsmouth residents before the U-boats docked at the Yard. Reporters on the press tug observed some of the articles handed off the US Coast Guard boats by soldiers and marines to local boys in small boats.

    A breaking news report off the wire services said that the mysterious stranger aboard the latest U-boat had been identified as designer of the German Messerschmitt combat air plane. This revelation brought to a close one of the most exciting news weeks at "America's oldest naval shipyard."

    Source: Charlie Gray, "Surrender at Sea," (pamphlet), published by WHEB and Colonial Cleaners, Portsmouth, NH, June 1945. Abridged by J. Dennis Robinson at SeacoastNH.com Original essay ? SeacoastNH.com. Do not duplicate. All use must be attributed.

    This rare photo shows not the surrender, but the commissioning of the U-boat 873 in Bremen Germany, the year before it arrived in Portsmouth, NH. The picture was given to a member of the US Coast Guard escort ship by a captured German crewman. (US Coast Guard Public Relations Office)


    Edited by Mike
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I wonder if any of this U-Boat paraphernalia can be found in the local antique shops? Very interesting piece of New England History!! I live around those parts and had no clue!!

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hi Paul (long time no see) ..I bet you might be able to find out more about this story at your ?office? . They?ll probably have more documented about it than what the Newspapers had. I wonder what happened to those Boats.

    If you do go searching , try to look around for that "Iron Cross" that was worn around the neck ..you know Reporters don't lie right ? :shame:

    Edited by Mike
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Oh yes, this stuff still "surfaces" from time to time. Not as often as one would hope, but it's still out there. I picked up a button this morning in fact ($1 at a flea market).

    There's actually a deck gun off one of the U-Boats in someones' ocean-front yard in York supposedly.

    -My town sports a 1918 Krupp artillery piece, complete with 21mm bullet holes in the shield and the next town up has several complete trench mortars sitting on the Police lawn.

    There's a nice museum down in Kittery with all sorts of stuff in it-and even more in the warehouse.

    The local historical societies have even more.

    Even more interesting are some of the people who surface in Portsmouth. Besides the triannual pilgrimage of presidential hopefuls and their enteroges, all sorts of odd folks end up in this corner of the world. In the past 20 years I have met retired Rumainan Princesses, a Latvian SS war criminal (who became a monk), the ex-"Fuhrerin" of the U-Boots' wives Association in Hamburg who after the war divorced her husband, married a Yankee Doctor and moved here (and is helping me translate the history of IR 432 -all handwritten in pencil scribble 1920 sutterlein) and who has "amusing" stories about Donitz and an ex-member of the Barder Meinhof Gang!

    I don't know what happened to the U-Boats, but there are hundreds of people out there who saw them.

    By the way, Portsmouth, despite the lawsuits and almost continual legal skirmishing over the navy yard, is actually in tax-free New Hampshire (actually an imperial colony of Massachusetts these days), not the free and sovereign state of Maine.

    I'll call Seacoast on-line and see what they have in their photo archives .

    Also, the navy prison was the inspiration for the Disney Castle-no kidding.

    Edited by Ulsterman
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Many of you might have known about this but , I always found it interesting but never knew about the War Souvenirs being a local topic . BTW ..I goofed on the Thread Title . I meant to post " From Maine to Florida " as a sub title.

    The Shipyards in New Hampshire were very busy throughout the War ..right to the end.

    I'm from Worcester and know the area . That's close to Hampton Beach RI , north of Sunapee ..right ? :rolleyes: but as I said in my first post , I thought I was adding that

    " From Maine to Florida " line in and for some reason only Maine showed up ..it was a Goof and I tried to fix it but , the Edit feature won't let me.

    Paul ..maybe you can use your Moderator button and fix that for me so I don't get razzed :cheers:

    If not , I'll just grin and bear it !

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Hello Mike

    Fascinating reading. I have some information, about the fate of these u-boats.

    U-805 5 feb. 1946. Scuttled off the us east coast.

    U-1228 5 feb. 1946. Scuttled off the us east coast.

    U-234 20 nov. 1947. Sunk by a torpedo, from USS Greenfish, during trials, approximately 40 miles north-east off Cape Cod.

    U-873 - - 1948. Broken up after trials.

    The u-boat that resides at the Museum of Science and Industry, in Chicago, is U-505. It was captured at sea, west off Africa, on 4 june 1944, by the US Navy.

    All the best :cheers:


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Create New...

    Important Information

    We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.