News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does someone know this medal ?

Hello !

I have never seen it. Do you know it ?

I don't know this item, but it can not possibly be genuine.

It is dated 1916 and yet it has Edward VII as King. The King in 1916 was George V. Edward VII had died in 1910 and was succeeded by George V, who was his son.

It is dated 1916 and yet it has Edward VII as King. The King in 1916 was George V. Edward VII had died in 1910 and was succeeded by George V, who was his son.

Yes, it's true...

Not possible to be a commemorative medal ???

Thank you !

:cheers:

the reverse is that used upon old sovereigns. It is commonly seen-a la the infamous "Ludwig of Bavaria" medals floating around-about the necks of forms of alcohol.

Da - Da!!!

Seeing as you mentioned IT!!! :banger:

Kevin in Deva

An obvious fake.

Although the inscription says Edward VII the bust is actually of George V.

An obvious fake.

Although the inscription says Edward VII the bust is actually of George V.

Halo James, :beer:

and welcome to the forum, fake would imply a copy of an original item,

I think this could be an early example of an obviously unresearched by the maker "fantasy" piece. :P

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

The Man Himself H.R.H. George V.

Pictured coin is one of 5, 1d coins, (1 Penny) dated 1912 - 1913 - 1916 - 1919 - 1920

found under the floorboards of the old Guardroom,

in Castlebar Military Barracks, by me during renovation work.

The barracks was built 1828 and occupied by the British until being handed over to the Irish in 1922.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

It's not uncommon to find blatantly inaccurate "sovereign style" tokens as gaming pieces or perhaps making a satirical or political point of the day.

I have a few somewhere showing a date around 1835 & showing a mounted man instead of St George & the dragon, something to do with a comment on the Elector of Hanover.

But this jeton does'nt appear to be making any particular point..

Guest Rick Research

Although these look like crude Tsarist Russian medals of the period...

MAYBE what we have here are actually prize tokens of some sort for SCHOOL CHILDREN. Dim, distant memories are ringing bells of some sort deep in my tired old brain about British urban scholarship foundation schools, of which Ed the 7th was perhaps Patron/Sponsor (as in-- they're all named after him, no matter which city they are in?) and these may have been handed out to kiddos for good attendance, deportment, spelling... whatever... in the year indicated?

Although one can NEVER underestimate the stupidity of fraudsters, I'm thinking these are perhaps actual cheap mementos of some lad's school days....

Sorry if I did not understand Ulstermans quote "a la the infamous Ludwig of Bavaria Medal" Is the medal illustrated by Kev a fake?

Jasmor58

Hallo Jasmor58 :beer:

Its just not a Royal military medal, apparently it was fastened by a red ribbon, to the necks of a certain brand of wine produced for sale to the general public, It has no connection to the Bavarian Royal Family, apart from the depiction of the King on the front, the rear has details of his birth date and date of death, "N" I believe refers to his Castle at Neuschwanstein near Fussen Bavaria.

After you bought the wine the "medal" could be used as a Key ring, etc..etc, it has been causing confusion for years, turning up for sale at Flea-markets, Militaria Shows, and of course on the internet.

Some people refuse to believe its a common item of modern manufacture. :speechless:

Kevin in Deva. :beer: