News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Solomon will like this one--

It is an absolutely CLASSIC combination per regulations: to a Detmold native from Infantry Regiment 55, returned from the front wounded, who had not received and "was not likely to receive" an Iron Cross.

It's a disabled veteran's combination. :cheers:

Solomon will like this one--

It is an absolutely CLASSIC combination per regulations: to a Detmold native from Infantry Regiment 55, returned from the front wounded, who had not received and "was not likely to receive" an Iron Cross.

It's a disabled veteran's combination. :cheers:

So he would have gotten a Prussian Wound Badge in Silver to go with the bar? Or does the Lippe miltary merit medal act as recognition for the wounded in Lippe?

If he applied, he would have received a wound badge probably in the 1935 "catch up" awards. WW1 wound badges were awarded starting in June 1918 through early 1919 and at the company/Battalion level from what I can glean. In 1918 the color of the badge denoted the number of wounds. Later on in the Tr, the colour demonstarted severity of wound(s). I believe we had an actual wound badge card on here some time last year showing "number of wounds" and color of badge on the paper.

A chap who'd already been at home with a disabling wound probably missed the first "imperial awards.

Great bar.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

That's right. These medals were awarded from 1914 until... years before any Reichs wound badge. They were a combination of a wound medal AND a sort of decoration.

That's right. These medals were awarded from 1914 until... years before any Reichs wound badge. They were a combination of a wound medal AND a sort of decoration.

Thanks!

So if he ever went in to claim a WB, would he have to relinquish the medal?

I would guess him to have a WB in silver, at least(dependent on where the wound was).

No- Germany was an imperial state, that is made up of distinct but unified political entities.

States awards were recognized as official awards and not required to be turned in upon receiving a WB.

I think only two "entities" gave out "wound medals" (inc. Austria) that were legitimate under the TR.

One bullet through the kneecap or a thumb would have sent him home to Ersatz/depot service and he'd have still only had a black wound badge.

Now what would have made this REALLY interesting is a war hilfskreuz and a red cross medal.... :Cat-Scratch:

Still, I'd love to own this bar, it's wonderful.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

Austrians could EITHER keep wearing their old Karl Wound Medal OR exchange for the relevant class "1918" (revived in 1936 under severity of wound changes to regulations and extended for the "new Germans" from 1938 on), but should not have worn BOTH. It is surprsining how many kept on wearing the old Karl version-- a little home town "attitude," perhaps?

The distinction with Detmold's medal is that it was a combination wound award AND decoration of sorts, for which there was no other equivalent, ever.

Solomon must be asleep. :rolleyes:

Solomon must be asleep. :rolleyes:

:Cat-Scratch: Oho, a Lippe-bar, that isn?t in my collection????? :speechless1:

Very uncommon and interesting combination! I like it!

BUT...the owner must not have been wounded at the front...this medal was not a real wound-award.

Only between 1914 and the beginning of 1915 55 soldiers from the 55th regiment (7. Westfaelisches) got the medal for beeing wounded at the front...but they got the medal without swords on it.

And he may served in another regiment, maybe 55th but all other are also possible.

But it?s sure that the was from Lippe.

His first award was the military merit medal...later he got the war merit cross.

According to the statutes he had to return the medal, but he didn?t (as many other didn?t return it).

Why he didn?t get the IC II 1914, I can?t say...this is the uncommon point on this bar.

A really nice medalbar...quite hard to find.

Best regards

Solomon