News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Military Merit

I'd like to start off this thread with the earliest IIIrd class box and award in my collection. Its appears to be an early box with the 5 torch emblem and a brass catch on the front. The award does not have any silver marks on it but appears to be made of silver due to the heavy tarnish and the fact that it weights 69 grams; the same as as my other 5 torch IIIrd class award that is silver marked.

First, the case.

Edited by Gordon Craig

The recesses in the interior of this case do not fit the award although the inert fits the case perfectly. The picture is not too clear as it is difficult to get the recesses to show in the black insert. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Bryan,

I saw your thread. I should have posted my stuff there rather than spread it around in two threads. Sorry about that.

Paul R,

These are very nice awards and very heavy. You can find these awards for a wide variation in prices but the ones I bought were not expensive at all and that surprised me from what others have said on this forum. There is a comment on Bryan's thread on these awards that they are expensive in Vienna. Everything is VERY expensive in Vienna. I just take pictures now when I go there.

Regards,

Gordon

The recesses in the interior of this case do not fit the award although the inert fits the case perfectly. The picture is not too clear as it is difficult to get the recesses to show in the black insert. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

There should be a metal plate. Most likely it is necessary to turn in it a little.

There should be a metal plate. Most likely it is necessary to turn in it a little.

Anatolie,

I am not sure I understand whent you mean.. In other cases I own there is a flat piece that could be metal that sticks up and the pin of the award slides under it. That is not the way the bottom of this case is made. If you look at the bottom of the box you can see a recess at the hinge end where the hinge of the award should sit. Below that is a "lump" that in other case bottoms allows the pin to slide under it and hold the award in place. That is impossible in the bottom of this case because if the hinge part of the award is placed in the recess of the case the latch part of the award would be in the middle of the "lump" and it would be impossible for the pin to fit under it. It is very difficult to explain through pictures. You really need to hold it in your hand to see what I mean. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Regards,

Gordon