News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

my uncle in laws ww2 MC citation!

well i posted this on another forum but ithought you guys might like to see it to!! with help from a memeber over at WAF i got this off the national archives! the place in sidi bachillah from what i can find is in north moracca

During the Coy attack on Sidi Bchillah on the 29th April 1943 2/lt edmundson was i/o of one of the leading platoons. The Coy cmdr was injured early in the advance and had to retire and the second i/c was killed just before the objective was reached. 2/lt edumdson, the junior officer left in charge and although wounded in the shoulder immediately took over command of the Coy, and in the face of intense grenade and M/G fire, led the Coy and captured the position. He shot at least 2 German bombing other trenches has he passed them. He had to be prevented from going over the top in the face of intense M/G fire in order to grenade further enemy positions on the reverse slope. He then organized the position against counter attacks and was throughout the day that followed amongst his men, cheering and inspiring them with his bravery and calm. He refused to be relived until nightfall although getting weak from loss of blood. He was throughout the action calm and cheerful giving confidence to his men and his example of devotion to duty and gallantry inspired the men to go forward when others would have fallen back. I strongly recommend this officer for the award of the military cross

now im going to see if i can find out more about his military career and get a display of his medals and picture together!

all good! :beer:

Edited by paddywhack

I am glad that you were able to get the citation. This must have been a very special day. I look forward to seeing seeing your display, when it is completed!