News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: THAT is a strange one!

Saxon Friedrich August Medal (surely the silver one) on war ribbon

Prussian EK2 with stupid mini device

Saxe-Altenburg Bravery Medal

Saxon Albert Order MERIT CROSS (peacetime)

Saxon Reserve-Landwehr (probably***) service medal "SLD2."

I'd have expected the holder of a pre-war Albert Cross (recipients would have been of roughly "sergeant major/warrant officer" equivalence) to get a Saxon General Decoration CrossX or simply Xs to his Albert. ***The wartime Saxon medal is a a step DOWN-- so he held dramatically lower military status than his civilian day job--and thus was not a continuous service active duty career NCO.

Very nice to see and would have suspected monkey buisness if it had not been on a Feldgrau tabby which cannot be screwed with without breaking.

I suspect you are right about the naval combination above as well-- Red eagle and Crown Order MEDALS to a Petty Officer or Deck Officer. A number of Deck Officers had that combination when the war started.

Post #52 - that "Albrecht" ribbon may rather be an Altenburg jubilee medal, so a double Altenburg connection here. War time FAM after a pre war Albrecht cross seems to unlikely to me.

Post #50 - may that be a Saxon junior officer with pre war Albrecht and additional war time Albrecht - and nothing more?!

Thank you to fellow forum member to help me ID the ribbons.... nice combination, isn't it? :jumping:

PrRKM3

Saxony "Erinnerungskreuz f?r freiwillige Krankenpflege im Kriege"

Baden "Kreuz f?r frewillige Kriegshilfe"

09819517b61765_o.jpg

One of the nicest "foreign" device what I have but its again almost impossible to find information about it.... as far I know/read, those oakleaves are pretty rare ones. Is there any track as well how many those would be awarded total and how many of them were germans?

09776291c8a2f4_l.jpg

Red Crescent Medal (Hilali Ahmer Madalyasi)

Instituted in 1903 to reward services to the Red Crescent (the equivalent of the Red Cross in Islamic countries). The medal is round, 29 mm. in diameter, with a red crescent facing left on a white field enameled in the center of the obverse. Below this is a sprig of laurel, and above it the inscription "Humane Assistance".

The uniquely shaped suspension bar bears the tughra of Sultan Mehmed Reshad V below a white enameled bar that reads "Ottoman Red Crescent Association."

There is also a bar at the top of the ribbon, enameled white, which is sometimes seen with year designations on the bar, indicating years served with the Red Crescent.

This medal came in three classes, gold, silver and bronze. There was also an oak leaf device worn on the ribbons of all three classes (white with a narrow red center stripe), but as this was a unique practice among Ottoman medals it is not clear whether this represented an additional award or a higher level within each class. Recommendations for award of the two lower classes were made by the Executive Committee of the Red Crescent, but only the Sultan himself could recommend a recipient of the first class. This medal continued to be awarded after World War I, until the establishment of the Republic.

Same award ribbons but without the devices:

097762817a3c6c_o.jpg

0977630930ae85_l.jpg

No, those oaks are actually ment to be for the Ottoman red crescent award, but I don't know their meaning. No one seems to do, from what I've heard. They are an official addition to the award, but I do not know under what circumstances they were given. I have seen them in full size once before. Here on GMIC, as part of a Danish(?) red cross group...

:speechless1:

As far I know and has been told by seller.... this bar combination don't make sence and has to be made up one. Can gnomes confirm it please, then I have piece in my mind and I can keep it in my "study and fakes" display.

Rick, reverse same time don't look too bad?

09977497c78336_l.jpg

Thanks Rick! and to the Fakes display it goes! :cheers:

next to this one... :wacky::wacky:

09977561c9bfc9_l.jpg

I don't think it's original one. Look for the differences between the ribbons and to the back of that bar. Also there can't be the EK's for both wars!