News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thanks for all your comments so far,here are some army pilot badge to eyeball ! First , issue examples top left is Juncker and tombak the others are unknown makers ,two in buntmetall one in 800 silber. Next are three silber examples ,two Juncker ( one almost mint with nearly ll the frosting and sparkly bits retained) the other is stamped Maybauer 800 IMO not one of theirs but sold through their outlet probably 1930's. Next (let me know when your getting bored) are some varying size pieces Halbgrosse,prinzen and stickpin. Lastly a little box of delights 30mm silber Godet badge and 18mm EK ,proper silber and iron three piece construction!

Observers next! Ferg1.

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

005.jpg

006-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the photos Ferg. Any thoughts on the base metal for issue badge on the top right (first photo). I would be very interested in a close-up of crown on that one if you have it. I have one that I am fairly certain is the same maker/badge version.

Thanks,

Lee

Hi Lee, base metal looks to be brass or ' buntmetall ' . It is very likely that yours is the same as this is quite a commonly seen example. Note the die fault area in the right side crown arch ( slightly lumpy) this seems to be on most of the ones I have seen to a greater or lesser degree ,so I assume that the ones with less of a ' lump ' are earlier than the others. I have also seen an observer badge with this mark on too , indicating one basic badge stamping ( pilot) being used for the four types of qualification award. The centre would be removed and the required centre applied i.e. rayed centre for observer,flat plate for airgunner and eagle for retired pilot ,(the land scape was left on this badge). The observer I saw had a 1930's type enamel plaque so I assume either the dies were still being used by this firm in the 30's or the plaque had been replaced. The two badges I show are from the same die one has been slightly ' under pressed ' giving rise to slight lack of hard detail on extreme high points, but hey ..... Ferg1.

010-4.jpg

011-3.jpg

Hi Ferg1 and thanks for the photos and info. You nailed it. That was the characteristic I was thinking about/looking for (die flaw on crown), I just had no idea how to explain it coherently. Is the badge on the right (last photo you posted) the same badge as the one on the lower left of the first photo/post? It shares the same characteristics as the one on the top right with the exception that it does not appear to be made in the same base metal and has the catch lower. I have just tried to post a photo of my badge, but am having problems. I will try later.

Thanks Again

Lee

Hi Lee, yes the badges are the same maker. The base metal is the same but one is more worn than the other. One has more of the frosting lacquer remaining than the other thats all. Ferg1.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think of this one. It looks somewhat like, or trying to be like, the one on the bottom right of your first post, but with some differences to include the pin. The patina on the rear also looks a little suspect/artificial? I am trying to educate myself on these issue badges, but there is little information and I am trying to build a data base of good ones, bad ones and those that are not really known either way. Thanks, Lee

What do you think of this one. It looks somewhat like, or trying to be like, the one on the bottom right of your first post, but with some differences to include the pin. The patina on the rear also looks a little suspect/artificial? I am trying to educate myself on these issue badges, but there is little information and I am trying to build a data base of good ones, bad ones and those that are not really known either way. Thanks, Lee

So here one of my. This one is part of a Jagdflieger group. It's identical whit the first one shown be Fergus.

5qaRx1jDb2Xd.jpg

Esrn15YkT7d1.jpg

Regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Hi Lee, the badge you show I believe is 1920's/1930's . I too have an example marked 800 silver. I feel it is OK but not period war time. Ferg1.

Hi Ferg1,

Is your example the one posted in your first photo (bottom left) or is it another one of your badges?

Thanks,

Lee

Yes Ferg1, bottom ?right? is the one I meant. That whole right-left thing becomes a bit more of a challenge, attention wise, with the advancing years. Very similar but appears as the pin/hinge portion may be a little different and the catch is located in a different spot than the one I posted. Do you think it is the same manufacture with just variations in pin/hinge/catch?

Thanks jaba1914 and Mike for posting yours. Mike, it looks like yours is the same manufacture as two in Ferg1s first post (top right and bottom left).

Thanks Again All,

Lee

• 5 months later...

First , issue examples top left is Juncker and tombak ....

Hi Fergus,

have you some facts, why you think this piece is made by C.E.JUNCKER.

I know that there are many similarities to the silver hollow piece or to the air gunnar from JUNCKER.

I show a identical piece in Post#7.

Regards Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Hi Alex, if you look closely at the Juncker marked silver examples and compare with the issue piece it is from the exact same die . There are tiny die flaws which match exactly on issue and silber badges. All four types of Juncker badge ( pilot ,observer,retired and gunner) are made from one basic die, then the centre was cut out and applied star burst plate for observer, plain plate for gunner ,aircraft cut out and landscape retained for retired (eagle added) .This is clear when you closely examine the wreath and crown on each badge,they have identical die flaws. It is common sense to save making four seperate dies . Ferg1.