News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Ministry of Interior Awards

Thanks Ed, a very long time in coming. Group also comes with a beret, another employee badge and a 10-year LS medal. I don't know yet if there will be additional documents to confirm they are all really from the same person. But my guy stated they all came from the same family.

Guest Rick Research

Oooooo. LADY Comrade Captain of State Security BONKA Georgieva Dzhurova! Wonder what that :unsure: interesting first name translates too. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

This KDS Group arrived today. Came with a cased 10 year LS Medal to MVD, 25 Year MVD Badge. My contact stated they all came in together, he didn't charge me for the extra pieces. There was also a nice beret with an interesting device. Two-part badge: painted white, fluted base and separate enameled device with the national colors and a big red star. The beret is piped in red (crimson) with matching band. No name inside.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd add a few that have not been shown already. First up is an '80's Police Riot Control badge... fairly rare piece covered in Dr. Riemer's book. As can be seen, there is a hand-to-hand (martial arts) connotation to the badge, and the design recalls badges that were produced in the 1940's.

A couple of commemorative badges made of light alloy with pin backs. The badge to the left, which appears to have hot enamel and mimics the design of the '65-'80 Honour Badge is one of very few badges not listed in Dr. Riemer's book and the only thing I know about this badge was that it was given to other Warsaw Pact contemporaries (Ralph Pickard informs me that he has one that was given to a member of the Stasi). The badge to the right is commemorative of 20 years of a specific police unit (44270) that, apparently, was mobilized to quelle riots in the '80's (this info was given to me only in conversation).

My final submission (for now) is a group of 3 variations of the MVR Excellence badge. As the top badge (bronze with hot enamel; screw back) and the lower right badge (enamel over light alloy; pin back) have already been discussed, I'll move to the badge on the left. It is, essentially, the same as the top badge in that it is bronze and screw backed. Where it differs is in the use of what I believe to be baking enamel. One of the characteristics of baking enamel is that a decided colour shift occurs once the piece is baked. In other words, the colour that is applied will change during the baking process. Also, the colours are dull- nearly flat- and deffinitely not shiney and lusterous as with hot enamel. I believe this badge dates to the mid to later '70's.

30 Years Border Guards, first time I've found one!

It's 30 Years Border Military Base. Sounds like a badge dedicated to the 30 years of some specific base at the border. But extraordinary, no number or anything pointing to which base.

• 3 months later...