News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet award to British soldier

It's not to a soldier but to a matelot, note the N.G.S. Palestine. As he has the Atlantic Star it is quite probable that he served on the Russian convoys, everyone who did received one of these if they were still alive in 1985. For once this looks like a kosher E-bay group and quite a nice one at that with two named medals.

Paul

Just recently I rediscovered the very nice article on the OMRS journal by John D. Clarke, "Soviet Medals to British Ex-Servicemen: the 40th Anniversary Medal 1945-1985--For Services rendered and the Convoy Commemorative Medal", 27, 1 (spring 1988): 4-9. In this, he provides a (partial?) roll of the British recipients of the GPW 40th anniversary medal (on which Morse does not appear) as well as images of the medal, the certificate, and the convoy badge.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 weeks later...

This group is fine (at least from the Soviet perspective). Several thousand of these medals were given out to surviving Allied (I know of British, French and US, at least) veterans in both 1985 and 1995 (and to a more limited number, 2005) to commemorate their contribution to victory during WW2. Interestingly, I have seen very few with their corresponding documents, and even more interestingly, I have seen several with blank documents that were issued with the medal itself. I know of veterans who received these for participating in the "Murmansk Run", Atlantic convoy duty, US Army Air Force units stationed in the USSR, lend-lease ferry duty, Arabian Gulf convoy duty, and for the Soviet-American lines meeting through Germany in April/May 1945.

Hope that helps.

Dave

(author of the article Soviet Awards to Americans in WW2) :rolleyes:

Edited by NavyFCO