News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How does one become a mason?

Sal Williams

Sal, all I know I learned from a bumper sticker..."To be one, ask one".

That is pretty much it you won't be asked by anyone to join. Just contact the secretary of your local Lodge and he can give you all the info.

Can you believe it I was in a B. Dalton bookstore the other day and there is a "Freemasonry for Dummies" book out. It is written by a Mason and gives good back ground of the history of the Fraternity, past and present. Also the Shriners are part of Masonry as is Demolay, Job's Daughters, Rainbow Girls, Eastern Star, York rite, Knight's Templar and Scottish Rite.

Most of the time there are meetings, dinners, outings and other public involvement.

There is a lot of mis-understanding what masonry is about. It has been called a "Secret Society" if that was so it wouldn't be advertised on the front of the Lodge and you wouldn't know who the members were. As a Mason you can walk into any lodge in the world and be welcomed. I travelled to Lodges in the States and in India and always felt welcome. That's the purpose of the "secret handshakes and words" so that you can recognize a fellow Mason (but you also have to show a valid dues card).

What is the big deal about being a brick layer??......Just kidding.My brother was sponsored by a mason into Demolay.He thought it was pretty cool,lots of capes,swords,and secrecy,not to mention the Rainbow girls..hubba hubba

Jim P

Edited by Jim P

Here is the section of the Wikipedia article on joining a Masonic organization, as coastie mentioned, you have to ask, normally no one will invite you -

Generally, to be a Freemason, one must:

be a man who comes of his own free will

believe in a Supreme Being, or, in some jurisdictions, a Creative Principle (unless joining a jurisdiction with no religious requirement, as in the Continental tradition),

be at least the minimum age (18?25 years depending on the jurisdiction),

be of sound mind, body and of good morals, and

be free (or "born free", i.e. not born a slave or bondsman).

Edited by ehrentitle

• 2 months later...

Perks......In "UK Freemasonry"....Anyone looking for "perks, gain, or financial reward" through membership are in the wrong organisation...on the whole it doesn't happen and if it occurs those responsible are quickly weeded out.

I was on an investigating committee once and we went to a military post and interviewed an applicant for my lodge. During the interview he mentioned that he had a band that played small parties and clubs and he felt the Masons would be a good way for him to obtain more contacts and possible bookings for his band. :speechless1: Needless to say, the the vote on his membership petition did not go in his favor. :rolleyes:

Hi all, surfed to this site by pure chance; good to see a Masonic section :D - and even better - sensible replies to the original question!

There is so much misleading info' re Freemasonry on the web put out by the 'anti's' - but not on this site!!

S+F

Patterdale.

• 2 months later...

Here is the section of the Wikipedia article on joining a Masonic organization, as coastie mentioned, you have to ask, normally no one will invite you -

Generally, to be a Freemason, one must:

be a man who comes of his own free will

believe in a Supreme Being, or, in some jurisdictions, a Creative Principle (unless joining a jurisdiction with no religious requirement, as in the Continental tradition),

be at least the minimum age (18?25 years depending on the jurisdiction),

be of sound mind, body and of good morals, and

be free (or "born free", i.e. not born a slave or bondsman).

Nice to see that things are the same in the States.Joining was one of my better decisions.To make contact,pick up a phone book.Alan