News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nooooooooo. Wrong.

Actually there is an interesting story behind this case. I bought mine (empty) from Eric Ludvigsen quite a few years ago to go with my silver Hannoverian General Decoration for Civil Merit medal. It is too small for the Hannoverian merit medals which run around 36 mm; and yet, it seemed a bit too large for the General Decoration for Civil Merit medal but what else could it be?

Then a while back something came to me - B?sch made decorations for states other than Hannover. I seem to recall consulting Rick and Rick on this and to make a long story short... take a look at the Lippe merit medals. In my case, the size (32 mm) is right for the body of the medal; but the giveaway is the space for the crown. What do you think?

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Well sir, unfortunately mine is empty so I have no idea. I know this is a game to show the case and medal but I just have the case. Yours is the same and I figured if it is Hannover you would be the guy. I have a silver from Lippe on a bar and I will try that in the case sometime.

Hi gents,

what?s about the silver / golden merit medal Schaumburg-Lippe?

Carl B?sch made the early merit medals for Schaumburg-Lippe and Lippe-Detmold...

Here is a photo of my medal...if you need the sizes, please let me know!

Best regards

Roman

Roman,

That is the one I was thinking I had but I was wrong. Please give us the size when you have a chance.

Chet

:rolleyes: Of course, I have the chance...it?s my medalbar (Vizefeldwebel Augst Sch?fer from Detmold) :D

Here are the sizes:

diameter (without crown) = 28,8 mm ( 1,134 inch )

height (incl. crown) = 42,95 mm ( 1,691 inch )

height (incl. ribbon-ring) = 52,2 mm ( 2,055 inch )

I hope, this was helpful...

Best regards

Roman

Yes Chet, I apologize, I did not make that point clear. The Lippe (Lippe-Detmold) medals have a diameter of 32 mm which would be too big. I tried a medal which measured 30.3 mm in my case and it was just a bit too large, this Schaumburg-Lippe medal, at 28.8 mm should be a good fit.

This, however, does raise another question. This medal was instituted in 1905 and I was not sure if Carl B?sch was still in business that late. With that in mind, I did some checking and found that there is an earlier version which was awarded from 1893 to 1905 which had a diameter of 29 mm. So, all things considered, I would go with this one. I certainly would not dispute Solomon?s confidence - ?Carl B?sch made the early merit medals for Schaumburg-Lippe and Lippe-Detmold...?

Best wishes.

Wild Card