News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Yowzah!!!! And to think this sort of citation did NOT get an EK!!! :banger:

Exceptionally wel done, too.

I can't read the Uffz's name-- Fretag? Frotag? I have thgis regimental history, so can see what there is on the action-- and whether he survived or not. :rolleyes:

HI,

I am pretty sure that these citations or Annerkennung certificates (not ALL the ones for patrols, but the REAL citation ones) were a step above the EK... when the next medal was one step too high.

Some Korps gave out certificates for patrol work, these are not the same as an annerkennungs Urkunde.

Signature in Von B?hn.

I assume the action must have been in early September.

Best

Chris

Guest Rick Research

:beer: Will go look through the 163rd history when I go offline and report back later.

Guest Rick Research

OK, I've been and gone through the regimental history from June to November 1915 and no mention of this action-- though there was for others that were similar.

The general situation seems to have been that the French opposite were very actively advancing saps towards the German lines, leaving work parties in little "holes" until they could dig from one to the other, making an entire trench system that crept forward. They'd just switched from blue and red uniforms to the new horizon blue, causing several sets of "friendly fire" casualties as Germans in Feldgrau were fired on in mistake for the "new" French drab.

Gas had been newly introduced as well, making everyone skittish. Primitive trench mortars were starting to appeaar-- and seemed more dangerous than useful. IR 163 seemss to have said thanks but no thanks to those and stayed with hand grenades at this period.

General von Boehn seems to have been a much liked "forward" General and is often mentioned as showing up personally to hand out Iron Crosses, attend musical comedy reviews, and just spend time in the trenches with the men.

Festag was not killed in the 4th Company, though there is also mention as the year progressed of more and more personnel being removed to beef up brand new war units, having a negative impact on small unit cohesion and morale.

Guest Rick Research

"Recognition

I express to Unteroffizier Festag of the 4th Company

of Schlesig-Holstein Infantry Regiment 163

my particular appreciation

in that he, as leader of a patrol which had the mission

to capture a strong enemy outpost, by his bravery

and composure especially distinguished himself. Thereby, that

he shot many Frenchmen, and the corpse of a Frenchman

brought back to the lines, by which significant

identitication could be made.

Corps Headquarters on the 15th September 1915

(signed) von Boehn

General der Infanterie"

Although this certificate does not specify any tangible reward, such citations were often accompanied by a gift like an engraved watch, or a presentation bayonet, or even cash. Some regimentas and divisions made unofficial medals for this purpose too. He may also have received something far more valuable-- extra and instant home leave. Coming from The Big Man, this would almost certainly have been presented personally by the General-- and possibly had a nice photo taken of the occasion as well.

Guest Rick Research

That is EXACTLY the equivalent. :cheers: Such citations are in many ways HIGHER than a "mere" Iron Cross 2nd Class (presumably Uffz Festag already had one) and would have earned a nice Croix de Guerre or an additional device to one from his opposites.

These are very hard to find, and rarely received notation in the man's military papers.

I'm interested in this thread but as i don't know any German could some one perhaps translate the citation? I feel like i'm missing out on the guts of the discussion.

Cheers

Chris

Sorry, I was going to get around to doing that... but went to the lake for the afternoon instead ;-)

"Recognition

I express to Unteroffizier Festag of the 4th Company

of Schlesig-Holstein Infantry Regiment 163

my particular appreciation

in that he, as leader of a patrol which had the mission

to capture a strong enemy outpost, by his bravery

and composure especially distinguished himself. Thereby, that

he shot many Frenchmen, and the corpse of a Frenchman

brought back to the lines, by which significant

identitication could be made.

What gets me is..... why carry the body back?

Surely his papers and collar tabs would have been enough?

What kind of info does a body provide? "We had a brown haired Frenchman with a beard in front of pur positions.... but now he is dead..." ?

Guest Rick Research

"Sorry, I was going to get around to doing that... but went to the lake for the afternoon instead" :Cat-Scratch: and me slaving over a hot keyboard with nooooooooooooo air conditioning!!!!! :speechless1:

I think maybe the third time or so he came back and somebody at Brigade sneered at him

"Oh yeah? PROVE you engaged the enemy...."

and perhaps he was not the type to transport Portable Portions. :rolleyes:

Would you think that other descriptive Annerkennungen, which are signed by lesser officers, like the regimental commander, would have the same level of significance?

Chip

Guest Rick Research

Hard to say. Being unofficial-- and rarely seen-- no way to tell how widespread these were.

DID every Regiment issue them?

Probably not.

I would think these reflect the personalities and inclinations of the command officers--possibly their wealth as well, since anything handed out would have had to come out of their personal or unit funds.

Something like a nice presentation watch would have rated higher than a piece of paper-- at least if I was the recipient! :rolleyes: :cheeky:

Would you think that other descriptive Annerkennungen, which are signed by lesser officers, like the regimental commander, would have the same level of significance?

Chip

I would say they could all potentially mean the same.

As seen on the link a few posts above, Some Corps had standard certificates for all participants on Patrols. There is no citation included on the documents, but it does not mean that they are any less interesting.

Festag's document is so much more interesting because it has the description, but it does not mean the others had not done similar things.

As with the EK docs, I dont think the level of the signature has anything to do with the level of the annerkenung.

Here we see 2 docs... both for patrols on the Somme.... one signed by Corps, one by Regt.... simply different administrative levels as they were given to all patrollers in the sector...

http://www.kaiserscross.com/40029/40802.html

I think so too, that any regiment had this kind of documents, in the early war-years the lower ranks get this instead of an iron cross (mostly) .

Best regards,

Jens

• 4 years later...