News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dunno diddly about aeroplane stuff, but that looks like a winner. :cheers:

Tom, with all due respect, if you "Dunno diddly about aeroplane stuff" then why comment on the piece. I would rather wait to see what the true Guru's of Imperial flight badges have to say. IMO, from the pictures I wouldn't like to comment without closer shots of the detail.

No disrespect to you Eric, but PLEASE show more detailed shots.

Regards, Mike

Hi Eric, I think that Mike is right , a few more detailed shots would be useful, but IMO on first impressions the badge looks suspect. The finish around the edge on the reverse looks rough, also the hinge block too. The front details around the inner and outer edges of the wreath look vague and worrying! Something doesn't feel quite about the whole thing. Need better pics please ! Ferg1.

Well, we have really bad pictures. Wehave a very odd patina/frost or finish... A number of keys look correct for this type of badge, but no way to tell unless way better (300DPI) scans of large size for diagnostic examination or.... in-hand. NO silver content, just maker mark, right?

sorry for the late response, guys. just got home and will do my best to provide better pics tomorrow (it's dark o'clock here right now).

yes rick, you are correct- this is not a silver badge. the "frosting" finish has worn away from the salient spots, leaving the base metal.

cheers, gents!

you can see that the front and back pieces are starting to separate in areas.

as i mentioned before, the nonmagnetic base metal is not marked for silver content. the finishing reminds me of a 'mattweis' type encountered on wound badges.

Here's mine for comparison, albeit by a different maker - C E Junker of Berlin

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2008/post-4175-1215970873.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2008/post-4175-1215970841.jpg

heya--- like i said in the header: worn.

never said it was especial...just a worn out 'ol badgy-badge. not a fancy one--i have a penchant for used items and variants. as you well know. :lol:

anybody else have a three-vent badge? that's the primary reason i posted this thingy in the first place, btw.

they probably had to use three vents due to the quality of the material they were using at the time. and even that didn't work very well, as the two plates are poorly joined.

bet this is an early 20s example done during that period when quality materials were not readily available.