News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I need some help reading two awards cards

I just got back a bunch or researches and I'm not sure for these two if the numbers on the actual award card and in translation documents match. It's hard to say, so I'd like to ask you guys for opinion.

First is an order of the red banner, which if it came for the right person, showed nice interesting combat story...

Guest Rick Research

Those are so poorly copied and so light I couldn't even GUESS what they are supposed to be. :banger:

GUESSING-- I must agree with Marc.

It is VERY unfortunate that the person there copying them must not LOOK at what comes off the machine. :speechless:

Try altering the darkness/contrast with the copies you have.

It might also help to compare these numbers with every other number as written on the ARCs.

The best I can do from what you have posted:

Guest Rick Research

Definitely no upper stroke on the last number of the serial number, compared to the third number in its award decree:

and the next to last number in this serial number is either a 3 or an 8-- hard to tell run together with the 2 without the pen having been lifted:

So I'd say you've got the wrong research back, unless birth year "19XX" on the other side has a 9 that looks like a 3 or 8 with a "waist" like this.

So CLOSE. :banger::banger::banger::banger: :banger:

I'm also sure that I got the wrong research for OGPW. But as for Red banner, I think I'll never know. It could be a 7, or 1. I'm hoping that the guy who saw the original, clearly saw a 7... I think I see a horizontal line in the middle of the last number, and the clerk could write a weird 7 cos he ran out of space...

Too bad, cos research for the red banner is really interesting, it mentions tank destroyers and 8 destroyed german tanks...

You'd think the researcher would have looked twice at the serial number in question before making the xerox copies and mailing it to you. Furthermore, I recall Dave posting something about the order in which the researcher gets to the Award Record Card and citation. Wasn't it that the researcher first looks for the Prikaz (with the name and s/n) and then for the Award Record Card (also with the name and s/n), or something like that? That way it's not possible you have the wrong research. Perhaps you could contact Dave or Gregory?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It simply doesn't make sense that BOTH serial numbers (and the citations) are the wrong ones. I've had this too in the past. I was convinced that the s/n on the Award Record Card didn't match the s/n on my medal, but other research documents (a list of bestowing dates of awards, including s/n's and names) proved that the research was correct nevertheless.

Edited by Ferdinand