News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Machine Gun Corps collection

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I quite enjoyed looking at your collection.

Did the single red disc and ID bracelet belong to the poor bugger named on the pair & plaque?

Tony

Glade you liked it Tony!

The items do not match, they all belongs to different persons.

Kjell

A few more items. Two uncut collar dogs and a tray.

I don?t know the purpose of it, it don?t look like an ashtray, could it be a calling card tray...?

Kjell

That's a nicely focused collection there Kjell, I've got a soft spot for the badges of the MGs and the Tanks that were an offshoot.

Four of those Vickers would make great legs for a coffee table :o

Thanks , glad you enjoyed my collection !

Coffee table.., good idea. Whit a built in water heater in each corner. Expensive and noisy in use and potentially hazardous for your next door nabours, but for a good cup of tea...? I?m regretting I sold other I had, could have made a small table..

Kjell

What a superb and concentrated collection!!!!!

What year is the vickers?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks Chris, glad you liked it.

The main parts of the gun is from the B series, between april and june 1918. The tripod is 1934 dated.

Kjell

Edited by ksg

• 1 month later...

Hello

My collection of Machine Gun Corps cap badges,collar dogs and shoulder titles, as it is mounted in the living room today. (The green felt is only temporary, I plane to use fabric from an old army coat).

There are also some other items like medals, dog tags, sweet hart badges and more.

Of course also the Vickers who started it all. I j yust wanted to get hold of a cap bade, I had seen many years ago, who had two crossed vickers machine guns.......

The collection contains badges for British Machine Gun Corps, Motorized Machine Gun Corps (later Thank Corps), the Royal Naval Division ,Guards Machine Gun Battalion and Guards Machine

Gun Regiment . Also Canadian and New Zealand Badges. I also included the common Australian badges. They had their Machine Gun Corps but no special cap badges, collar dogs.

Kjell

Hi,Good morning,Kjell !! How nice,WOW!!Great & beautiful Display :jumping::jumping::cheers: :cheers:

• 6 months later...

Hi kjell,

Great specialized collection. Thank you for sharing.

My main interest is in the WW1 Campaign in German East Africa and noticed that the MGC was given the Battle Honour E. Africa.

Since information is hard to obtain on this campaign, I was wondering what information you may have on the MGC activities in East Africa.

All the best,

Jean-Paul (JP)

Awesome collection, Kjell!

And I must confess - at risk of starting a series of semi-political posts - one of my first thoughts was "Gee, he must live in the US." because I wasn't aware on anywhere in Europe where position of a Machine Gun was legal! And you had two? Wow!

Peter

(from Canada, where we can't own machine guns either)

Hi,Good morning,Kjell !! How nice,WOW!!Great & beautiful Display :jumping::jumping::cheers::cheers:

Hello Naoki

I happy you liked it !

Sorry for getting back to you so late! Somehow I was not notified about your replay, and I have?t looked at the topic since then.

Kjell

Hi kjell,

Great specialized collection. Thank you for sharing.

My main interest is in the WW1 Campaign in German East Africa and noticed that the MGC was given the Battle Honour E. Africa.

Since information is hard to obtain on this campaign, I was wondering what information you may have on the MGC activities in East Africa.

All the best,

Jean-Paul (JP)

Hello Jean-Paul

My pleasure, I?m glad you liked it!

I?m sorry but I have no information about MGC activities in East Africa, other then the little you can find on the web.

Maybe somebody reading this have some information to share?

Kjell

Awesome collection, Kjell!

And I must confess - at risk of starting a series of semi-political posts - one of my first thoughts was "Gee, he must live in the US." because I wasn't aware on anywhere in Europe where position of a Machine Gun was legal! And you had two? Wow!

Peter

(from Canada, where we can't own machine guns either)

Thanks Peter!

As I have explained under another topic, I?s getting more and more difficult, (close to impossible) to buy a fully automatic gun today. Fortunately I?m still allowed to own the one I got. I don?t have more than one Vickers, but I have a fully automatic Maxim from 1943. I used to have an Australian, unused in the box, but I sold it to a friend. Will try to post some picture, It?s a very nice gun!

I?m not sure how it?s today but Finish an Swedish collectors also was/is allowed to own fully automatic guns.

Kjell

Do you research the medals etc?

I admit I have not been doing much research so far. Have googled the names, but the only thing I have some certain information about is the "dead man penny".

My collection, except for the Vickers, have been collected in less than two years.

The history about the MGC was unknown for me until when I started it so I have used a lot of time to research the basic history and have not, yet, focused on the personal histories.

It?s not my main collection, so most of the time is spent on my other topics.

Would appreciate research tips, sites, links etc.

Kjell