News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Document? What Is It?

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: :jumping:Using NON CYRILLIC Western font :rolleyes:

Issued (upper left) by 108th Independent Labor Battalion to Red Army Man (Krasnarmeits) Makary Denisovich Nun(ichi?)k, who took part in the GPW from 12.12.43 to 9.5.45 on the 1st Ukrainian Front, this is the Temporary Certificate for his

Victory Over Germany Medal.

Stamped and signed by the Btn CO, Major Ural'sky.

Very weird.

Guest Rick Research

That's because it is using local German typeface. It's not Cyrillic.

The Germans did the same thing with Iron Cross documents in occupied France 1914-18.

That's because it is using local German typeface. It's not Cyrillic.

The Germans did the same thing with Iron Cross documents in occupied France 1914-18.

Thanks for an explanation, I've never seen such documents before. Only locally made docs...

I'M new to this Forum but anyway please feel free to ask me if you need documents' and other artefacts' translation from Russian to English!

Guest Rick Research

Because the Temporary Certificate of entitlement authorizes him to have it, on the basis of the service shown, but the unit (probably at the bottom of the supply chain) didn't HAVE an actual medal to hand him. Given that he would have been issued a medal and the normal folded paper award booklet on the basis of this document, I didn't remark on that-- figured it was standard operating procedure for these preliminary certificates.

It is not that his medal was denied.

White underlined line states that this certificates authorizes award of the medal which is on the next line, then underlined in blue says that the military unit did not have a medal to issue to him.

He may have been a lucky demobiolized soldier going home, and would have needed to show this to get his medal-- as so many did-- from their home RVK. OTHERWISE the insurmountable difficulties of military and civil bureaucracies might have delayed issuing medals for years. This unit was no doubt itself soon dissolved, and then where would he have gotten his entitlement from? :rolleyes:

:beer: