News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK2 Doc - Offizierstellvertreter in Infanterie-Leibregiment 117

Here is a great doc to Offizierstellvertreter in Infanterie-Leibregiment Gro?herzogin (3. Gro?herzoglich Hessisches) Nr. 117 dated November 4, 1914. My best guess is that it was awarded for actions during the first battle of Ypres. Perhaps the unit had suffered considerably since the First battle of the Marne and the Race to the Sea.

Chris - I saw that you have a single EK2 doc to this unit as well (from August). Do you have the regimental history? Is there anything you can share about this man's experiences in October/November?

Edited by Brian R

Very nice and early document, when the EK2 still meant something. My grandfather got his at exactly the same time with Res. Inf. Rgt. 203 for actions at Dixmude. I believe he was the first enlisted man in this unit to be so decorated.

Thanks Chris - I have read these articles in the past - they are excellent. However, I was curious if there was any info about IR117 in the Regimental history in early November. http://www.1914-18.info has the 25 ID around Le Quesnoy at that time. (it is interesting that this town was liberated by New Zealand troops exactly four years after the date of this doc).