News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

North West Canada Medal

Hello Everyone,

Here is the 10th Wedding Anniversary gift my wife bought for me. I have wanted a North West Canada Medal for a long time but always found other places for my cash especially considering what these are worth. We were on vacation when this was delivered and to make it extra special it actually arrived 6 days late for the anniversary but on my birthday! My birthday gift is still in the mail, coming from India.

My wife is a fan of Victorian medals and I consider that area of the collection as her's but it is still the greatest anniversary gift I've ever recieved. Some day I'll post her section of the collection.

Just a little history of what this medal was awarded for comes from the Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR) Museum and involves the Northwest Rebellion of 1885.

"Once referred to as the "Riel Rebelllion" the Northwest Rebellion, marked the only war in history fought entirely by Canadian troops. The rebellion pitted the English ruling establishment against the French-speaking Metis and Planes Indians tribes of Saskatchewan. Drawn together by the frustration of dealing with an unresponsive government, the Metis and Plains Indian leaders proclaimed their own "Governing Council of the Province of Sasketchewan" at Batoche, 18 March 1885. The ability to move troops across vast distances using rail travel, drastically reducing time spent "marching" to the battle destination, was one of the keys to the downfall of the rebellion.

Louis Riel surrendered to Goivernment Forces that included "C" Company of the Infantry School Corps (precursor the The Royal Canadian Regiment) on 12 May 1885 at Batoche. The rebellion ended on the 2nd of July1885 with the surrender of the Cree leader, Chief Big Bear."

In a way you could say this was a mini civil war, but I won't go any rather with that notion here. I remember as a kid being taught that Luois Riel was a traitor to his nation, then yaers later he became a folk hero. Perhaps in time he will be seen as a National hero, but here I go slipping into a political debate which is not my intent.

The medal I have is without a bar (Saskatchewan) which is not uncommon. It is named to,

PTE.WALTER TEMPEST E. Coy. MIDLAND BATT. research in the National Archives has found his regimental number to be 269.

It is named in large block letters and I am thinking Pte. Tempest had the engraving done after the medal was awarded as is also not uncommon.

Other statistics regarding this medal are as follows.

5,650 medals issued.

16 to British Officers

1,753 with the Saskatchewan Bar

920 to the R.C.M.P.

(leaving 2,961 issued without bars to other ranks)

There were 363 men in the Midlands Batt.

I hope you like my anniversary gift.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Wow!

Your wife should educate my wife.

But, then, it is probably a very VERY bad idea that wives of "folks like us" should never meet. I have seen it happen. Not pretty. They compare notes. (Unless they, themselves, also collect!)

• 3 weeks later...

As I recall, the Midland Battalion was made up of contingents from the following Militia Battalions:

15th Argyll - Belleville (H Coy.)

45th Durham (C Coy.)

46th (two companies - Millbrook and Port Hope E Coy.)

47th Frontenac

49th Hastings and Prince Edward (G Coy?)

57th Peterborough

Edited by Michael Johnson

As I recall, the Midland Battalion was made up of contingents from the following Militia Battalions:

15th Argyll - Belleville (H Coy.)

45th Durham (C Coy.)

46th (two companies - Millbrook and Port Hope)

47th Frontenac

49th Hastings and Prince Edward (G Coy?)

57th Peterborough

Gee, I have a nice 57th Peterborough helmet plate that would go nicely with that medal!

Edited by JamesM

Tempest was a Port Hope boy. You need a 46th Battalion plate.

I have an un-named NW Canada Medal on its original ribbon. Although it is in a Toronto jeweller's box, it came out of Madoc Ontario, so is presumably 49th Battalion.

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All:

This is my first posting to the forum and I sincerely hope that I am not hijacking your thread in any way, but thought this might be the place to post my inquiry concerning a North West Canada Medal that is in the post to me, as I type.

What I am trying to find out is any other information about the recipient, except his DOB, which for some reason he had engraved on his medal. I have not been able to find him on any of the usual Canadian research sites, and was hoping for some assistance.

The medal is privately engraved in running script, as follows:

A.B. Fraser, Born 1851, Sgt. B. Co. Mid. Batt.

He is shown on the roll as Abram Fraser. I have all of the information about the Midland's formation and their participation in the Rebellion. What I am seeking is any information about the man himself.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

nitram

Hi Nitram,

I can not speak for others but I post topics with the hope others will add to it and thereby increase the informational value of the original. Thank you for doing just that and never worry it's not hijacking it's enhancement.

:cheers: Regards

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Gents:

Just an update on my question concerning Abram Fraser above.

The medal arrived with a file of about 30 pages of military records, land grants and a diary written by one of the members of B Co., Midland Battery....alas, but with no personal information.

However, I did find him on the 1851 Canadian census through the Canadian Automated Genealogy website.

He is shown on the census as being one year old, the son of Andrew & Elizabeth Fraser and being born in the township of Seymour, County of Northumberland, Ontario, Canada. He is listed on that census as ABRAHAM. However, all of his records and all of the documents he signed for land/transfer and pay were signed ABRAM.

Now having found his year/place of birth I have put a friend of mine to work in the hopes of finding out anything else of a personal nature of the man, i.e., whether he ever married, had children and possibly date/place of death.

I am glad to be thought of as not 'hijacking' this thread, and should there be any more interest in this man I would be happy to post follow-ups if requested.

nitram

Gents:

Just an update on my question concerning Abram Fraser above.

He is shown on the census as being one year old, the son of Andrew & Elizabeth Fraser and being born in the township of Seymour, County of Northumberland, Ontario, Canada. He is listed on that census as ABRAHAM. However, all of his records and all of the documents he signed for land/transfer and pay were signed ABRAM.

nitram

Nitram

I've been doing some genealogical stuff lately and, if you hadn't already figured this out on your own, "Abraham" on the census roll is almost certainly a case of the census-taker writing down what he thought he heard and not checking with the parent(s) providing the information. Such mistakes are lamentably common in the earliere censuses. My Great Grandfer was baptized and married as Dainel Monoghan but appears on the 1901 census and every subsequent reference as "Monahan". So your man was lucky (or illiterate) in having the "no h" spelling appear on all his military records!

I lovely medal. I envy you.

Nitram

I've been doing some genealogical stuff lately and, if you hadn't already figured this out on your own, "Abraham" on the census roll is almost certainly a case of the census-taker writing down what he thought he heard and not checking with the parent(s) providing the information. Such mistakes are lamentably common in the earliere censuses. My Great Grandfer was baptized and married as Dainel Monoghan but appears on the 1901 census and every subsequent reference as "Monahan". So your man was lucky (or illiterate) in having the "no h" spelling appear on all his military records!

I lovely medal. I envy you.

Peter:

What you say makes much sense as the same thing happened during the mass European migration through Ellis Island in the early 20th century.

I agree it is a lovely medal, as they were all issued unnamed to the recipients, and here is one with at least some traceable data. All I can say is that I am the temporary custodian, and am happy to share any information I can with those who may have an interest. I do not own many medals but I try to leave them with much more information then when bought, because I believe that no one who served in the military, in any country or under any circumstances, should not be remembered, even if only in cyberspace.

Thanks for you nice words,

nitram

Guest Rick Research

It's worth checking for Fraser in American records, since U.S. Census data contains reference to places of foreign birth. This part of New England is referred to as Southern Canada by us locals since so many families originated across the border. If you got that medal in the U.S. rather than Canada, could be indicative of a local find for where he ended up.

This could get tricky, with his last name also subject to variant spellings: Frazier etc.

It's worth checking for Fraser in American records, since U.S. Census data contains reference to places of foreign birth. This part of New England is referred to as Southern Canada by us locals since so many families originated across the border. If you got that medal in the U.S. rather than Canada, could be indicative of a local find for where he ended up.

This could get tricky, with his last name also subject to variant spellings: Frazier etc.

Hello Rick:

I have had all of the U.S. & Canadian census records and other options checked by a Canadian researcher, with no results, so I really feel that I have reached a dead end. The bio that I have written about him ends when he accepts $80 in script in exchange for his Bounty Land in December 1885. Then I/we lose all members of the family.

The medal came to me from Canada, within 100 miles of where my man was from. However, I have no idea where it has been since 1885, perhaps in other collector's hands, possibly 2x around the world.

It's unfortunate that our medals cannot speak, but given the advancement in technology that may happen some day.

Appreciate your time,

nitram