News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Virgins On Tractors

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

There was a medal for the cultivation of virgin lands awarded in the 1950s-- though have never seen an actual BEGINNING or END year for bestowals of that.

This is a screwback badge found at today's monthly show, which from the construction and enamels appears roughly the same Khruschev era, late 1950s-1960s, incription stating it is from the Central Committee of the Komsomol for "liberation of new lands."

Does anyone know if this was given before, during, or after the period for which the ribboned medaal was bestowed, or whether this was for a lesser length of service as a pioneer farm "volunteer?"

Guest Rick Research

Ah, so AFTER the ribboned medal. :cheers:

This is a heavy metal badge with good quality real enamel, so it looks earlier than that.

Ah, so AFTER the ribboned medal. :cheers:

This is a heavy metal badge with good quality real enamel, so it looks earlier than that.

Guys,

I going from memory here, but this one is from 1958, and was awarded to Komsomol members only. The medal was an altogether different type of reward.

Rick, it is "Освоение" not "Освобождение", so no "liberation" here :rolleyes:

Marc

Guest Rick Research

Ah! :speechless: I should have cleaned it up-- I misread the tarnish! :cheers::cheeky:

This is what happens when 1-eyed collectors older than their new badges sit with strong sun coming in the computer room window.... :catjava: