News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Hungarian soldier @ 1984

Ulsterman,

I am not so sure that the soldier pictured is Hungarian. The large central badge appears to be for one of the Warsaw Pact war games and all of the WP soldiers who took part would have been given one.. The other badges don't look Hungarian to me nor does the helmet.

Regards,

Gordon

Ulsterman -

can you get a good scan of the button on his pocket flap. Not too long ago I was given a "free" dress tunic. It was of a 2nd Lt. and was in bad shape (hence the price) - it had a Soviet sports badge - in fact same on in the photo... but as it was moldy and missing all the button and the lower pockets - I kept the boards and the pin and hucked the rest.... :banger: was probably from the same event.... :banger: :banger:

Ulsterman,

I looked in my reference material and the central badge is for "Shield 72". I agree that the others appear to be sports related but the one next to the buttons does not appear to be Hungarian nor is it Russian. Sorry that I haven't been able to spend more time time to say what country I think this soldier might belong to. Not trying to be negative just helpful. Most of the WP countries used a running man in their sports badges, following the lead of the USSR, but they used a different shape for the badge.

Regards,

Gordon

Ulsterman,

Your picture is of Hungarian soldier. The stars on the collar threw me off. I am so used to seeing rank only shown on the shoulder boards for this period that I never think of them being worn any where else. They were worn on the collar of the field tunic in this time period. The uniform would be the 65M pattern and the helmet the 50M pattern. The sports badge closest to the buttons was one I had not seen before until last Saturday at the monthly Militaria Show. If it is the same badge that I saw, and I am pretty sure that it is, it is not military but for the MHS. I can not make out what the badge is on the soldiers extreme right. I am fairly certain the badge in the centre is for "Shield 72" the Warsaw Pact Maneuvers held in 1972. These badges were normally only worn during the days of the actual maneuvers. A picture of the "Shield 72: badge is below.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Ulsterman,

Medal hunting is not what it was when I arrived two years ago. Mostly I buy small pins and awards these days for a project I am working on. However, I struck gold today at the Coin and Stamp Show. Tune in tomorrow for the pictures of what I bought!

The sports badge next to the buttons is not the MHS badge I saw on Saturday. I'll have to keep my eyes open and see if I can identify it.

Regards,

Gordon