News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does anyone have readily at hand the reference materials to say to whom Hero Star #4107 was awarded? Thae name in both Roman and Cyrcillic would be nice, if possible. Thanks.

You'll see later why I ask. :P

Edited by Ed_Haynes

And I look forward to posting the story behind it... :rolleyes:

Dave

Never having gotten the full tale myself, I look forward to it.

If I post the "item", will that coax you out, Dave????

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Okay...before anyone goes off the handle with the "it's a poor fake made to decieve stupid people that was probably sold as a wearer's copy" theory, here's the story...

I was living in Russia in 1992. I was on the market, dealing with a seller from whom I regularly purchased Soviet awards (back when you could buy Red Banners for $12 a pop and such...) Anyway, he got this one in and wanted a whopping $20 for it. I asked him the history of it because it was obviously NOT a real HSU, but had been worn considerably and it was numbered. Turns out that he got it from the family of a HSU, and he believed it was the one that the HSU would wear as he kept his original in safe keeping (the medal is made of brass and is much harder than the gold of a standard HSU). It is also smaller than a normal Gold Star...perhaps the veteran was of smaller stature and it blended in better...anyway that's the story behind it and it was pretty weathered when I bought it in 1992, so it wasn't a recently produced piece. A "real" wearer's copy? Perhaps... :unsure: a one off actually worn by a veteran? I wish I knew...

Dave

Thanks, Dave!

-- Not a "fake"; no one would be fooled.

-- Obviously NOT any "official" wearer's copy. (Which I think we all accept never existed.)

-- Possibly a make-it-just-for-me wearer's copy?

Very interesting in any case. (I think.)

Guest Rick Research

Did # 4107 live a long life that would have made such possible? If he was killed in 1945, there goes the story....

I should not pass ask this until Ed somehow manages to confirm the dates as I do not want to throw any doubts or strange conspiracy theories ...

...But I find myself asking ...

... what, if any, was the likelihood of a case of "Stolen Valour" in the USSR?... and what was the punishment for that?

Looking forward to how this HSU story will develop...

Jim

Hi Ed,

Hero Star #4107 is Никулин Дмитрий Егорович (Nikulin Dimitriy Igorovich) . Ukaz of 19.08.44. Awarded on10.10.44.

Cheers.

Ch.

10.10.44 is the date he "perished" as I can see it.....

Some confusion here?

Jim

10.10.44 is the date he "perished" as I can see it.....

Some confusion here?

Jim

Hi Jim,

This is absolutely correct. 10.10.44 is the date of his death, not of the awarding, as I uncorrectly stated it. :rolleyes:

I will correct my initial post.

Cheers.

Ch.

Interesting indeed - but as Rick asked - how does a 'wearer's copy' get so worn down in so little time as award and death dates are not so far away!

The mind boggles.........

Jim

Jim,

That is, for one, because the wearer never wore this one... :rolleyes:

Marc