News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

History of Soviet officer buried in Kerepesi Cemetary, Budapest

I have stopped and looked at this man grave marker a number of times when I have visited the Sovjet Katonai section of Kerepesi Cemetary in Budapest. He attracted my eye because his is the only grave in the cemetary that has a bust of the man above the grave. That and the fact that he appears to be highly decorated up to Hero of the Soviet Union. I hope that someone out there has some information on this individual.

Regards,

Gordon

Guest Rick Research

He was killed BEFORE the siege of Budapest really got going. I thought perhaps he was a flyer when the date came up, but those are artillery cannons on his Lieutenant boards.

I have heard of such statues required by statute for winners of TWO Hero stars... but for their hometowns.

He was killed BEFORE the siege of Budapest really got going. I thought perhaps he was a flyer when the date came up, but those are artillery cannons on his Lieutenant boards.

I have heard of such statues required by statute for winners of TWO Hero stars... but for their hometowns.

Rick,

Your comment above woke me up! One of the last great battles in Hungary, before the Seige of Budapest, was the Battle of Debrecen- 6 to 28 October. Heavy fighting took place along the Tisza River, on the 10th of October 1944,when the Soviet 2nd Ukranian Front (46th Army and 18th Tank Corps) were pushing on Kecskemet only 70 Kilometres from Budapest. There is a good chance that this soldier was killed during one of the battles that took place during the Soviet "Debrecen Offensive Operation".

Regards,

Gordon

Debrecen indeed! I looked him up in the two volume big red HSU book. Guards Lieutenant Yevgeny Kuzmich Lyutikov was born on 17 April 1921 in the city of Pugachov, Saratov Oblast. Party member since 1942. He joined the army in 1939 and was at the front from November 1941. He commanded a battery in the 66th Guards Mortar Regiment, 44th Guards Cavalry Corps, 2nd Ukrainian Front. He fought during the 'liberation' of Hungary.

Here's his hort citation from the book:

"During the Debrecen Operation, on 8 October 1944 two enemy motorized artillery guns and an artillery battery approached his battery at fortified point Sharretudvari (47 km southwest of Debrecen). The commander deployed the combat installations and opened fire, and subsequently stopped the enemy attack. Wounded thrice, with the last grenade he blew up himself and the surrounding enemy troops."

(Or in Russian: "В ходе Дебреценской операции 8.10.1944 на батарею у нас. пункта Шарретудвари (47 км юго-зап. г. Дебрецен) вышли внезапно 2 САУ и арт. батарея пр-ка. Ком-р развернул боевые установки и открыл огонь, остановив наступление пр-ка. Трижды раненный, последней гранатой подорвал себя и окруживших его врагов.")

He was buried at the Kerepishi cemetary in Budapest. School #205 in Moscow and a pioneer unit in Budapest were named after him. Lyutikov was awarded an Order of Lenin, Patriotic War 2nd, Red Star and some medals.

Also see:

http://www.warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=132

Debrecen indeed! I looked him up in the two volume big red HSU book. Guards Lieutenant Yevgeny Kuzmich Lyutikov was born on 17 April 1921 in the city of Pugachov, Saratov Oblast. Party member since 1942. He joined the army in 1939 and was at the front from November 1941. He commanded a battery in the 66th Guards Mortar Regiment, 44th Guards Cavalry Corps, 2nd Ukrainian Front. He fought during the 'liberation' of Hungary.

Here's his hort citation from the book:

"During the Debrecen Operation, on 8 October 1944 two enemy motorized artillery guns and an artillery battery approached his battery at fortified point Sharretudvari (47 km southwest of Debrecen). The commander deployed the combat installations and opened fire, and subsequently stopped the enemy attack. Wounded thrice, with the last grenade he blew up himself and the surrounding enemy troops."

(Or in Russian: "В ходе Дебреценской операции 8.10.1944 на батарею у нас. пункта Шарретудвари (47 км юго-зап. г. Дебрецен) вышли внезапно 2 САУ и арт. батарея пр-ка. Ком-р развернул боевые установки и открыл огонь, остановив наступление пр-ка. Трижды раненный, последней гранатой подорвал себя и окруживших его врагов.")

He was buried at the Kerepishi cemetary in Budapest. School #205 in Moscow and a pioneer unit in Budapest were named after him. Lyutikov was awarded an Order of Lenin, Patriotic War 2nd, Red Star and some medals.

Also see:

http://www.warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=132

Ferdinand,

Thanks very much for taking the time to look up this info and putting it down here in both languages. Now if I can successfully research the Pioneer unit that was named after him it would really put the icing on the cake.

It would appear that somewhere in the translation/transliteration a slight change has taken place in the name of the town where he was killed. I can see from the Russian script above how this could happen. In Hungarian the name of the town is written "S?rr?tudvari". The S in Hunagrian is pronounced like "SH" in English.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks for the information

Edited by Gordon Craig