News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Todays flea market success: a grand picture of a wedding at the end of the imperial time in all its glamour. We do not know, if still is war or the Kaiserreich is collapsed. But you can feel the dusk of that historical period.

Edited by Komtur

Papa seems to be a high ranking Beamter, as far as I can recognize his shoulder boards. He is a knight of the Johanniter. Besides his huge ribbon bar with a Iron Cross 2nd class on the white ribbon we see the 1st class stars of the Prussian Red Eagle Order, the Baden Order of Berthold I and the Saxon Albrechts Order (please notice: no swords :o ). The small badge between the last star and the Johanniter cross I can?t recognize.

Edited by Komtur

The bridegroom is a K?rassier officer decorated with a EK1, the Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 1st class and the wound badge in black. On his orderbar I see the EK2, the Baden order of the Z?hringer Lion 2nd class with swords, the Oldenburg Friedrich cross 2nd class and the Schaumburg-Lippe cross 2nd class.

Nice picture! It cannot pre-date 1918 as I see a Prussian wounded badge... :rolleyes:

The picture may be from the last year of the "Great War" or later. With those people you never know, reminds me to Hindenburg who still wore his Prussian uniform in the 30s... :speechless:

Unfortunally I cannot give you a name, but the "Berthold" was not given often: 65 awards before 1896 (not as a order for its own but as a higher grade of the order of the Z?hringer lion) plus 107 awards for the Berthold grand cross from 1896 to 1918, according to H. Volle. I'm not sure but think they were also awarded/worn later, but only by members of the house of Baden. I have nothing handy but a picture in mind from the 1960s...

• 3 months later...

The photographer's mark (the two photos are from the same wedding, yes?) on Joe's photo should give the town nearest the wedding, the wedding seems to be at the family home, there were not that many curassier regiments; put all that together and you probably have the regiment, and we easily can come up with a very limited number of senior officers. I have a bunch of Ranglisten, including the 1914-1918 Ehrenrangliste, if you guys don't, and will be happy to help if useful.

Joe, do you have the town of the photographer?

Bob Lembke

The photographer's mark (the two photos are from the same wedding, yes?) on Joe's photo should give the town nearest the wedding, the wedding seems to be at the family home, there were not that many curassier regiments; put all that together and you probably have the regiment, and we easily can come up with a very limited number of senior officers. I have a bunch of Ranglisten, including the 1914-1918 Ehrenrangliste, if you guys don't, and will be happy to help if useful.

Joe, do you have the town of the photographer?

Bob Lembke

Thanks Bob for that idea, but I am afraid, that will not help. Sascha wants to know, who is the father of the bride (or the groom). That person is a senior Beamter and not a curassier. He is wearing a star of Badens Order of Berthold I. This rare decoration is the reason of Saschas interest.

Best regards, Komtur.

Thanks Bob for that idea, but I am afraid, that will not help. Sascha wants to know, who is the father of the bride (or the groom). That person is a senior Beamter and not a curassier. He is wearing a star of Badens Order of Berthold I. This rare decoration is the reason of Saschas interest.

Best regards, Komtur.

Komtur;

If you find out who the curassier officer is, or even get a short list, say the 5 or 6 higher-ranking officers of the regiment who survived the war, there will be many ways to figure out who his father or father-in-law is. Finding out the regiment will quickly narrow the search from 80 million people to, say, 20.

Gruss aus Philadelphia,

Bob

• 12 years later...

Just curious, has this puzzle been solved in the meantime? I always felt like "Papa" must be a Standesherr, head of a noble family that lost their throne and independence in the 1806 changes. Especially if there is, as it seems to me, no oaks on his RAO1 star... unusual for someone in Prussian service!

:whistle:

On 30/11/2008 at 14:41, Komtur said:

The small badge between the last star and the Johanniter cross I can?t recognize.

Neither can I, but it may well be the Baden 1906 golden wedding jubilee badge... ?

Edited by saschaw