News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ambulance service (emergency duties) long service and good conduct medal

Does any of you know where I can find more information about this medal?

Specially when it was instituted, how many years it is awarded for, to whom and what it would be worth.

Thanks in advance.

Not a great deal but it is awarded for 20 years service to paramedics and ambulance technicians.

Operational staff who reach their 20-year milestone with the Ambulance Service are awarded a Queen's Ambulance Service (Emergency Duties) Long Service & Good Conduct Medal provided they have completed 20 years' service, with at least seven years on A&E duties, and hold a clean disciplinary record.

Edited by Taz

Thank you so much for your answer, Taz.

But what is the different between this medal and The Service Medal of The Order of St. John? Apart from the 20 versus 12 years.

Hi Kwart,

Well, St. John Ambulance are a different and much older organisation.

Roots can be traced back to the 11th century.

In 1887 trained volunteers were organised into a uniformed Brigade to provide a first aid and ambulance service at public events. In many parts of Britain, St John was the first and only provider of an ambulance service right up to the middle of the 20th century, when the National Health Service was founded.

There isn't much on this award to be found on the web, however there is a book,

If you think it's worthwhile for you maybe you should concider buying one.

Title. Ambulance Service (Emergency Duties) Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Great Britain Staff

ISBN 10: 010129042X / 0-10-129042-X

ISBN 13: 9780101290425

Publication Date: 1995

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

It seems to have been created sometime prior to 17 March 2003, when it appears in the official order of wearing in the London Gazette. Sadly, this official publication still includes idiotic things that never existed (such as the bronze 1903 Durbar Medal), so perhaps we cannot trust it?

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...t=&similar=

Thank you for the link. Yes, it must have been created before 2003 since it's mentioned in a book from 1995. But I don't think it is older than 1977, do you?

So my question is: why did they not use the 1977 jubilee head? As far as I know, the jubilee head appear on most other medals created after 1977 such as the Silver jubilee medal, SA, OSM etc...

Kvart,

According to an old copy of the Medals Yearbook, this award was instituted on5 July 1996, for ambulance services in England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands. There are two reverse designs, one with the emblem of the Ambulance Services of the UK, and the second with the emblem of Scotland. The Scottish is the rarer of the two.

Both full and part-time members of the Services are eligible provided they are employed on emergency duties. Service prior to 1974 in ambulance services provided by local authorities counts. For paramedics and technicians the qualifying period is 20 years. For ambulance officers and other management grades, at least 7 of their 20 years' service must have been spent on emergence duties.

It doesn't appear to heve been named when issued.

FireMedals

Kvart,

Your medal naming looks very well done. The listing in the Medals Yearbook usually mentions if the medals were issued named or not, and there is no indication of official naming in the listing in my 1999 edition. That doesn't mean they weren't. Perhaps a more knowledgeable member can clear that up.

Nice medal. As a collector of fire and emergency services medals, I don't seem to come across these too often.

Thanks for posting it.

FireMedals

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

As a serving Police Officer we are currently lobbying the Government to bring the UK Emergency Services Long Service & Good Conduct Medals into line. By that we ask that the Police LS&GC medal be reduced by two years to bring parity to the Emergency Services long service medals.

The Govt have just instituted a Prison Service LS&GC, also at 20 years! (I have details if anyone is interested).

We have just received a letter from the Policing Minister (Vernon Coaker MP) that says some of the medals are only for long service and that not all require a good conduct element!!!!!

We in the Police are stumped as we know our Police LS&GC requires 22 years full time service with good conduct, we believe the Fire LS&GC requires 20 years full or part time service with good conduct and we believe the Abmulance LS&GC requires 20 years full or part time service (7 years 999 Emergency Duties) with good conduct.

Can anyone help please?

Please contact Ken Fowler at ken.fowler@warwickshire.pnn.police.uk

Many thanks,

Ken

The Police, Fire & Ambulance long service medals all require the good conduct element.

The Royal Mint presentation boxes all say for long service and good conduct.

The reverse of all the medals says for exemplary service.

The Royal Warrants state that no individual who qualifies by virtue of time can be nominated unless her/his character and conduct is very good.

Hello Ken.

In my old Force, any officer qualified to receive the medal who was at that time subject to a discipinary punishment (Fine, Reprimand, Regulation Warning, etc.) had the award of the medal postponed until his/her record was 'clean'.

I think this practice actually varies from Force to Force.

A few FOI requests around the Forces might be a worthwhile exercise.

In my case, I think the medal was for 22 years undetected crime! :D

• 2 weeks later...

The Police, Fire & Ambulance long service medals all require the good conduct element.

The Royal Mint presentation boxes all say for long service and good conduct.

The reverse of all the medals says for exemplary service.

The Royal Warrants state that no individual who qualifies by virtue of time can be nominated unless her/his character and conduct is very good.

There was a much publicized case of the Police LSGC being denied to a PC who qualified by length of servce but not by conduct, about 12 - 15 years ago. He had been convicted of an ABH I think it was on a youth who had given him some lip, & was later aggrieved when he was'nt allowed the medal.

There was a much publicized case of the Police LSGC being denied to a PC who qualified by length of servce but not by conduct, about 12 - 15 years ago. He had been convicted of an ABH I think it was on a youth who had given him some lip, & was later aggrieved when he was'nt allowed the medal.

Leigh,

That was an A & S officer and it was for common assault IIRC he resigned as a result of not getting the LSGC. I think also he was a member of the RNLI in Minehead where was a CBO.

Cheers,

Jim

• 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...

On a slightly different topic. I've been led to believe that previous regular military service can be counted towards the accrued time. As long as the seven yrs accident and emergency criteria is met. Anyone confirm or know of this happening in other emergency services?

Unless there have been very recent amendments to the regulations (that I'm unaware of), then no: military service is inadmissible towards the emergency services' long service medals - either police, fire or ambulance. There are, however, quite a lot of oft-repeated myths that get bandied about - usually by those in positions of some seniority, which in turn lends the myths credibility.

Edited by Tony Farrell

• 12 years later...