News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is my new piece. Marine observer by Hugo Schaper of Berlin. Gilded bronze. Scratched engraved on reverse BORS . The S has the top and tail seriffed as in the rank description ' zur See'. Anyone recognize ? Fetg1.

002-10.jpg

004-8.jpg

"tweet, tweet"

nice little birdie.

I'm familar with Schaper badges being marked on the pin? Does anyone know when/why you see Schaper badges with or without the pin markings? Thanks.

I can't read the scratching on the back very well.

"tweet, tweet"

nice little birdie.

I'm familar with Schaper badges being marked on the pin? Does anyone know when/why you see Schaper badges with or without the pin markings? Thanks.

I can't read the scratching on the back very well.

Hi Cladius, I think out of the seven or eight Schaper badges I have at least four or so have nn standard pins or conversions to screw fittings. The reason being IMO is the weight of the badge and possibly poor soldering of pin to hinge. In a word , they break off in use !! The standard pins are a flat thin type couple that to the heavy solid bronze badge and you have a weak spot. Look at Schaper badges you will see many with replacement pins. Ferg1.

• 1 month later...

Here is my new piece. Marine observer by Hugo Schaper of Berlin. Gilded bronze. Scratched engraved on reverse BORS . The S has the top and tail seriffed as in the rank description ' zur See'. Anyone recognize ? Fetg1.

Vary nice bird. It have all notes of an SCHAPER piece exept the pin. The gilded looks vary dark to me (because of the light?), more like brown

Here my SCHAPER observer.

AxLKVU5SIKLk.jpg

UnTyuKKOgs3F.jpg

Regards Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Hi Alex,yes the pin ,as with so many Schaper pieces is a period replacement, the patina to mine is dark because through wear it has lost a percentage of its gilding and you are seeing the bronze base metal. Ferg1

• 2 years later...

Here some informations to BORS

Fl.Ob.Mt. Bors (LFA) Beobachterabzeichen am 11.06.1917

Fl.Ob.Mt.d.S.II Bors (LFA) Befördert zum Fl.Mst.d.S.II am 31.08.1917

Fl.Mst.d.S.II = Flugmeister der Seewehr II. Aufgebot

Regards Alex