News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The mystery Moroccans

Oh, pretty!

Wissam Alaouit Cherifien / Order of the Sharifian Alawaid Dynasty

Awarded for civilian or military merit. The lowest classes had to be conferred first and awards of higher classes were by gradual promotion. Under normal circumstances, Moroccans must have served the State (or French protectorate) five years before they could be nominated.

A lesser diploma of honor, the Dahir de Satisfaction, was affiliated to the order as a junior class, but subordinate to the order.

The order was freely bestowed to French military troops with at least three years of service in Morocco, to other foreigners with five years of service; promotion could be achieved only after three years in a lower class. It was also awarded freely to senior allied officers during WWII. Recently, limits have been imposed on the maximum numbers of holders of each class, and holders could not be elevated until openings appeared.

Established: By Sultan Yusuf, 2 Sapher 1331 (11 January 1913), to replace the Nishan Hafidien. Essentially absorbed later as a French colonial order.

Obverse: A white-enameled ball-pointed five-pointed star with green-enameled wreaths in the angles. The first badge had the text of the shahadat in the points of the star; the star is plain for the second badge. I do not know the date of introduction of tehs econd badge. In the red enameled center is the Arabic inscription: ?His Majesty Youssef?. Suspended by a gold wreath.

Reverse: Gold, the red-enameled monogram of the ruler, the red Cherefien umbrella.

Ribbon: First ribbon: orange. Second ribbon: Pale orange moir? with thin white edge stripes.

You have the Chevalier class of both varieties, though the ribbon on the new version seems anachronistic.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

How does this fit in with the similar awards with the green between the points of the star?

thanks

Officer and above have the green. Rather small, but -- officer, 2nd type, on the same plain ribbon. (Perhaps badges and ribbons changed at different times?)

The red seems to be very fragile on these. i saw 6-8 more while there, all very bad shape. These were by far the best.

The later one was roughly mounted with a french colonial medal with bar "Morocco", I assume it means these 2 could actually belong together? It would be sometime between 1914-1925 I think.

best

Chris

The red seems to be very fragile on these. i saw 6-8 more while there, all very bad shape. These were by far the best.

The later one was roughly mounted with a french colonial medal with bar "Morocco", I assume it means these 2 could actually belong together? It would be sometime between 1914-1925 I think.

best

Chris

Yes, finding specimens with enamel intact is hard, especially for the older variety.

I would agree that these were a group. And a nice colonial group. You know all the tales they might tell.

Officer and above have the green. Rather small, but -- officer, 2nd type, on the same plain ribbon. (Perhaps badges and ribbons changed at different times?)

Ed,

Very interesting, this remark about the green "leaves" : I did not know this.

Cheers.

Ch.

The first badge had the text of the shahadat in the points of the star;
    To add: the shahaada is the Muslim statement of faith. The word comes from the verb shahida, meaning to witness or bear witness. The text on the badge basically states la ilah illa Allah wa Muhammad rasuul Allah, or "There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the prophet of God."