News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anyone have a clue what this guy's rank is?

NavyFCO

Here's an odd one that I found looking through my old photos. This guy had a BEAUTIFUL group of awards, including a duplicate issue Order of Lenin. Interestingly, I found a fellow that HAD HIS ORIGINAL screwback Order of Lenin and the group went to him! Pretty amazing - to have both the first one AND the duplicate!

Anyway, I was never able to figure out who or what this guy was. Can anyone on here figure him out from his collar ranks?

Thanks!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Railways. Exact rank is rather mysterious to me, but I believe

his tunic buttons

and the DATE of the photo will

Reveal All.

If those are 1940 Soviet seal buttons, I'd say whatcha had was a 3 star general of railways (tracks and construction), which AFTER 1943 was a "General-Director 2nd Rank" (subtract a star same way as the military did with diamond tabs)

Lord knows what any of the COLORS were, though!!!!

Rick-

Duh! All that time and I never bothered to look at the darn buttons! Of course they have the Soviet seal on them instead of a star! So he WAS a general officer! Okay... Now I'm kicking myself for selling it... even if the other guy DID have his other award! :speechless:

Paul-

I think I've sold more nice stuff than 95% of Soviet collectors will ever own in their collections. Some I wish I still had, but at the same time, I had to have the money to buy more... ;)

Dave

• 1 year later...

Awakening another old thread due to my passion for the Railways related subjects.:

So our man is indeed a "Высший начсостав - Maximum Commander" of Railways, just like you guys called it. The insignia regulation is the order of 1932 according to my reference.

Fabulous photo Dave... The award group is nothing to sneeze at either.

:cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Richie-- what book are those plates from? The only Railways one I've been able to find is Vladimir Lapin's fine 2003 "Nagradnye Znaki Zheleznodorozhnogo Transporta" almost entirely on awards, with a little on 1943+ uniiforms.

This was released this past Spring. It has only thirty or so pages, but is full of nice colour plates and some comprehensive info about this relatively unknown Soviet collecting facet.

If you are interesting in obtaining a copy Rick, or anybody else for that matter, let me know via PM and I'll try and have a copy(s) sent over...

:cheers: