News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Relic / ground found Pieces

Kev in Deva

Hallo Gents, :beer:

Yesterday I had the occasion to visit a fellow collectors house for the first time to see some of his items.

The following items are difficult to categorize under Romanian law and are I believe are considered to be "firearms"

despite the fact they could never be made to fire, so I will not post the collectors name or location.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

In the background, top left, school slate, relic Kalashnikov bayonet, spear tip.

To the right: Communist period handcuffs, pre-WW1 German / Austrian bayonet,

WW2 Austrian or German Bayonet relic, padlock, the stuff is on the collectors

living room floor and was gathered over a period of a couple of years.

The first gun pictured was found near a small palace of the Romanian Royal family, in Western Transylvania.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

The two revolvers are "Prisoner of Zenda" 1880s era, outdated even during the 1912 Balkans War.

Pistol in posts 6 and 7 is an Austrian Steyr-Hahn, weird technology introduced in 1907 if I remember correctly. It's in the fired/ recoil position and probably jammed or was empty (had to be fed with a noxious top-loaded stripper clip into the grip, like a rifle rather than a pistol) when its last owner let it fall....

Is it just me, or should I get "creeped-out" and think "grave robber" when I heard the phrase "ground-dug" so glibly and innocently intoned?

:rolleyes:

Whatever gets you through the night, surrounded by ghosts. One hopes.

Is it just me, or should I get "creeped-out" and think "grave robber" when I heard the phrase "ground-dug" so glibly and innocently intoned?

:rolleyes:

Whatever gets you through the night, surrounded by ghosts. One hopes.

Hallo Ed, :beer:

Because the item is located in the ground in say the year 2000, when it was dropped or hidden back in the days of yore is not real evidence of there being a grave involved, "they can pry it out of my cold dead fingers" does not always spring to mind or bear truth.

Edited by Kev in Deva

True, perhaps. But so many in the ("former") CCCP proclaim the same tale.

Many games, perhaps, but when it come to (or near) market . . . :rolleyes:

Witten as a former "owner" of an Americal Revolution graveyard that was plundered by the metal detector mob simply for the buttons . . . :violent:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I must add that none of the items are being offered for sale by the collector in question,

they are in his personnel"collection" and he loves old objects,

(as much as his wife :love: detests him having them.)

and not everything he has is militaria.

Guest Rick Research

Uh...

handguns are not normal Grave Goods in modern times. :rolleyes:

Dropped and lost on a battlefield...

Thrown away when uselessly jammed or during capture...

Collected in piles and discarded and or hidden...

but NOT buried with their owner.

Nobody throws away a gun that way.

The Soviets, as but a conveniently recent example, had burial units COLLECT weapons off the dead for the living:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32929

:catjava: