News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with two French ribbon bars

Noor

Hi all,

I got today two France ribbon bars and because I do not know almost anything about them, can you please help me to "read" them. Any information would be great - what period they would be, officers or not and also awards on them. I tried to quess and learn, so please let me know if I am on the wong way....

9 place France ribbon bar

Like I see it - its the ribbon bar from 50-60s for a officer? Am I right?

awards:

1. Medaille Militaire

2. Croix de Guerre, with star (what the star indicate?)

3. ???? (some war medal??)

4. Medaille Coloniale

5. Medaille commemorative de la d?Indochine (???)

6. Algeria war medal (???)

7. Million d`Elephants

8. Medaille du Regne

9. Merite Civil

0911777903e26a_o.jpg

7 place France ribbon bar

WW2 vet who staid in service after the war until..... maybe 60s???? Officer?

is it right:

1. Medaille Militaire

2. Croix de Guerre 1939-45 (stripes are green). What`s the star indicate?

4. ???? (best quess - WW2 commemorative???)

5. Campagne d`Italie (???)

6. Medaille Coloniale (???)

7. Million d`Elephants

8. Medaille du Regne

9. Merite Civil

091177770d9404_l.jpg

9 place France ribbon bar

Like I see it - its the ribbon bar from 50-60s for a officer? Am I right?

awards:

1. Medaille Militaire

2. Croix de Guerre, with star (what the star indicate?)

4. Medaille Coloniale

5. Medaille commemorative de la d?Indochine (???)

7. Million d`Elephants

8. Medaille du Regne

9. Merite Civil

Hello Noor,

This is definitely not an officer's bar : ribbon 1, the M?daille Militaire, is an award for NCO's and soldiers only (bar one exception but that isn't valid here).

Ribbon 2 = Croix de Guerre TOE (Th?atres d'Op?rations Ext?rieurs - Foreign Theaters of Operations) - the star stand for a citation. In the picture the star looks silver which would mean a citation on divisional level.

Ribbon 3 = Croix du Combattant

Ribbons 4 & 5 : you've correctly identified those

Ribbon 6 : correct, the official title of the medal is M?daille Comm?morative des Op?rations de S?curit? et Maintien de l'Ordre, which could be translated as Commemorative Medal for Security and Peacekeeping Operations.

Ribbons 7 & 8 : correctly identified as those Laotian awards

Ribbon 9 : again correct but this an award of the T'hai Federation (not to be mistaken for Thailand ! The T'hai Federation was situated in present-day Vietnam).

In view of the Security & Peacekeeping being there, I'd date the ribbon bar as being likely to be late 50's - early 60's.

Cheers,

Hendrik

7 place France ribbon bar

WW2 vet who staid in service after the war until..... maybe 60s???? Officer?

is it right:

1. Medaille Militaire

2. Croix de Guerre 1939-45 (stripes are green). What`s the star indicate?

4. ???? (best quess - WW2 commemorative???)

5. Campagne d`Italie (???)

6. Medaille Coloniale (???)

7. Million d`Elephants

8. Medaille du Regne

9. Merite Civil

As with the other set, a NCO's ribbon bar of the late 50's - early 60's ...

2. Indeed the WW2 Croix de Guerre with a bronze star, I think, which indicates a citation on regimental or batallion level,

3. Combattant's Cross once again

4. Correct : WW2 Commemorative Medal

5. Yes, the WW2 Italian Campaign Medal

6 and 7. Yes, see remarks on first set.

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello

I fully support Hendrick's comments.

Two additions :

First group of 9 ribbons is post-1945 and clearly Indochina + Algeria. The last three "colonial" orders and decorations would rather indicate a senior NCO (adjudant / adjudant-chef) but not an officer, because of the M?daille militaire.

Second group : Second World War + Algerian conflict. Unfortunately, the Colonial and WW2 Commemorative Medals don't have the clasps which would complete the information. My hunch is that the Colonial Medal would have the TUNISIE clasp and the Commemorative could also have AFRIQUE, ITALIE and possibly LIBERATION clasps.

A long service set of ribbons, to someone living in French North Africa in the 1940-1950s who would have also seen service. Probably a professionnal NCO.

Both sets are very convincing, no recent setups as sometimes seen on the "net".

Regards

Veteran

Thank you very much for the first class answers and information! I really appriciate it! :cheers:

I posted next question already to other threat but maybe guys can help me here as well...

With those international bars I love to research and try to find answers first myself because the study and great "hunting" feeling! But with this three place bar I am really stuck here more then a week now! Can someone help me to point out the right country and period.... Belgium, France or Netherlands is my best quess. First device looks exactly like French but same time second ribbon dosen't :unsure::catjava:

09015653b4d14a_l.jpg

Hello Noor,

Definitely Belgian ... from left to right : Order of Leopold, Military Cross 1st Class, Commemorative Medal for the Reign of King Leopold II.

The palm on the Leopold Order's ribbon indicates a wartime award - very likely to be a WWI award as I think my old eyes can see an "A" (for King Albert I) on it.

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 1 month later...

Here is one other "head case" for me....

am I right:

1. Legion of Honor, Officer

2. War Cross 1939-45

3. Combatant's Cross

4. WW2 Commemorative medal

5. Peacekeeping Operation "Maroc" clasp

6. ? not French??? (Looks like Dutch?)

7. ? not French??? (Looks like Dutch?)

095873052c3113_l.jpg

Hello Noor,

OK for Nos. 1 - 3 and I suggest :

5. Colonial Medal

6. (French Colonial) Order of Ouissam Alaouite, Commander's class and

7. Medal of Sports Education, bronze class

Cheers,

Hendrik

Edited by Hendrik

If I may, 7. could be a chevalier du M?rite Sportif, Knight of the Order of 'M?rite Sportif' (suppressed in 1963).

It seems to me more coherent with the rest of the group.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-2068-1235497804.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-2068-1235497817.jpg

Regards

It seems to me more coherent with the rest of the group.

Hello Bison,

I stand corrected ! With an Officer of the L?gion d'Honneur and a Ouissam Alaouite Commander, the "Chevalier" class is indeed more likely !

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Bison,

I stand corrected ! With an Officer of the L?gion d'Honneur and a Ouissam Alaouite Commander, the "Chevalier" class is indeed more likely !

Cheers,

Hendrik

It might well be that the last ribbon (light blue with golden side stripes) is something else again.

This group could have been worn by an field officer in the late 1940/1950s (Legion d'honneur + croix de guerre 1939 + commander Ouissam Alaouite) having served in the French colonies (I am sorry I could not read the bar on the m?daille coloniale).

The blue and gold ribbon ribbon we are discussing is probably the Medaille d'argent de l'?ducation physique issued between 1929 and 1956. This is rather a younger man's award, possibly earned at an early stage of this officer's carreer. The Ordre du M?rite sportif was awarded during a short period of time, starting in 1956 and disappearjng in 1963 when the Ordre national du m?rite was created by General de Gaulle.

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Veteran,as usual you are absolutely right! And may be we are both right!

In 1956 when the M?rite sportif was created, the recipients of the silver medal of '?ducation physique et sports' were made Knights of the new order. The ribbon bar was exactly the same...

In fact, if this group is worn before 1956, this is the silver medal of sports. After 1956, this is a knight of the Sports Merit...

Yours

Bison

Thank you guys for the all help and information! I have few more French bars what I will try to post up here some stage.... then I have to chose.... what to keep and what to let go because I am happy with only few examples from every country.