News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice little South African pair

No provinence, bought from a small Edinburgh antique shop about 15 years ago... but not really bothered about that, simply a nice little pair to add to my minis.

I just wondered though if the naming of minis was the norm in SA.

Cheers

C

It is an unusual combination of medals. Single issue War Medals are uncommon; it means no service outside South Africa. A researcher might be able to track down papers, but without a service number and unit it would be extremely difficult. The roll for the SA War Service Medal is lost, so there is no chance of identifying Scott that way.

Regards

Brett

Edited by Brett Hendey

No provinence, bought from a small Edinburgh antique shop about 15 years ago... but not really bothered about that, simply a nice little pair to add to my minis.

I just wondered though if the naming of minis was the norm in SA.

Cheers

C

Hi Colin

The first time I see naming on a miniature. It is not the norm to do that here in South Africa. Guess it was privately done.

Interesting combination though.

Keep well

Norman :lol:

I've never doubted the engraving myself, never even contemplated it being bogus, the engraving is nothing glamorous, or worth faking up. the guy I bought them off, I doubt he even knew about the engraving, or even looked at them ever, when I say antique shop, read more junk shop, they were in a big dish of buttons, other common mini singles and odds and sods... I paid I think ?5 for this pair and I don't think you'd get even the "A.W" letters alone hand engraved in that tiny size for ?5, just guessing of course, but I bet that engraving wasn't cheap to get done back then, if it was privately done, which now I know it was, A.W. must have been very proud of his/her service, as indeed he/she should. The guy in the shop must have got them for next to nothing :( . Great info I appreciate my little pair of minis a great deal more, and for that I am very grateful.

C

But notice the different styles.

I would say IF a collector had done it, they would have been the same.

my rough guess is the wearer proudly had his done after WW1... then got the WW2 medal, and tried to get it engraved as close as possible to the WW2 one.

Sometimes even a small pair is a nice pair :-)

This is very nice and I bet you could get the WW1 medal card.

But notice the different styles.

"I would say IF a collector had done it, they would have been the same."

Agreed

"my rough guess is the wearer proudly had his done after WW1... then got the WW2 medal, and tried to get it engraved as close as possible to the WW2 one."

Could be the same engraver he took them to .. just years later? The "A" has a similar kind of curved right arm.

Sometimes even a small pair is a nice pair :-)

Aye, the grass is always greener. :jumping::jumping:;)

"This is very nice and I bet you could get the WW1 medal card."

How do I go about that?

Any advice on what I can find out about a full sized Africa Service Medal WW2 704497 F.C. WILLIAMS?

Funny on reflection, I would have always considered myself a German medal collector, but though I've sold god knows how many German medals, I've never sold any of these, sure some psychiatrist would make something of it.

Cheers Chris, much appreciated what you've put in this thread :cheers:

C

Edited by Colin Davie

Yes, a lovely little pair. I have little doubt they were lovingly named up by the recipient. And it is true that it wasn't an easy job to do. As miniatures are neither officially produced (in more cases) nor officially named, this pair says a lot about the person. I hope you have some luck in tracking him down.