News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rail Way Tunic

Guest Rick Research

Is that a 1959 date in the collar? Is there a city for the maker?

Was this JUST before you knocked the open 5 gallon can of white paint over on it? :speechless1::speechless1: :speechless1:

Paul,

From the colour and the foto itself it looks like a summer Deutsche Bahn tunic. It should have shoulder boards as well but from the picture I can not tell if they are present.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks everyone.

Strange... there are no shoulder boards nor are there any provisions for them. No signs that there ever were.

Thanks everyone.

Strange... there are no shoulder boards nor are there any provisions for them. No signs that there ever were.

Paul, I don't think it is federal DB (Deutsche Bundesbahn) - I believe the tunic is from a provincial railroad like the AVG (Albtalbahn Verkehrs Gesellschaft). Is there a manufacturer tag?

Naxo,

What makes you think it is for a private railway? I haven't studied uniforms and insignia for private railways after the war. If memory serves my right, before 1945 federal railways used gold insignia and private railroads used silver. How about after the war?

Regards,

Gordon

Naxo,

What makes you think it is for a private railway? I haven't studied uniforms and insignia for private railways after the war. If memory serves my right, before 1945 federal railways used gold insignia and private railroads used silver. How about after the war?

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon, the lack of shoulder boards - but I think you have a point regarding the gold wire collar tabs.

I have to check , Hardy :cheers:

Naxos,

Ive been browsing Hartmut Shottge's web site http://www.eisenbahnraritaeten.de/Rangabze...gabzeichen.html (haven't been there for a while) and the type of rank insignia on Paul's tunic picture only shows up in the 1942 rank page. Although what Hartmut's rank chart shows doesn't match what is on the collars of Paul's uniform picture. A similar design does show up in "German Uniforms of the Third Reich 1933-1945" by Brian Davis and Pierre Turner. It also appears in Davis's book "Badges & Insignia of the Third Reich 1933-145". Paul's collar tabs in the foto don't have the swastica that is shown on the collar tabs in the two books that I referenced showing insignia used during the Third Reich. I am beginning to think that your first comment that it was a tunic for a private bahn may be correct.

Regards,

Gordon

Naxos,

Ive been browsing Hartmut Shottge's web site http://www.eisenbahnraritaeten.de/Rangabze...gabzeichen.html (haven't been there for a while) and the type of rank insignia on Paul's tunic picture only shows up in the 1942 rank page. Although what Hartmut's rank chart shows doesn't match what is on the collars of Paul's uniform picture. A similar design does show up in "German Uniforms of the Third Reich 1933-1945" by Brian Davis and Pierre Turner. It also appears in Davis's book "Badges & Insignia of the Third Reich 1933-145". Paul's collar tabs in the foto don't have the swastica that is shown on the collar tabs in the two books that I referenced showing insignia used during the Third Reich. I am beginning to think that your first comment that it was a tunic for a private bahn may be correct.

Regards,

Gordon

I have some pictures of a relative that was employed by the AVG and he wears the exact collar tabs w/o shoulder boards (1960s) - I will dig it up and post it.