News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need help to identify Saxon-Coberg-Gotha mini.

It seems to be the medal for Kunst und Wissenschaft. in silvre without crown. In my Nimmergut's book from 1995-1996, the price is 555 DM, now the same in euros.

Christophe

Thanks for your reply. :cheers:

Just got a picture of the rear. It has a Crown.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Waaaaaaaaaay before anything I know anything about, but from later pieces, I am wondering IF this could possibly be a numismatic "mule"-- that is, obverse and reverse dies from TWO different awards married together carelessly. After all, we always wonder why anyone bothered with a reverse on a lapel chain mini anyway--

so could this be (assuming the front to be more important) some OTHER award that got the wrong back stamped on and... nobody really cared? :rolleyes:

Waaaaaaaaaay before anything I know anything about, but from later pieces, I am wondering IF this could possibly be a numismatic "mule"-- that is, obverse and reverse dies from TWO different awards married together carelessly. After all, we always wonder why anyone bothered with a reverse on a lapel chain mini anyway--

so could this be (assuming the front to be more important) some OTHER award that got the wrong back stamped on and... nobody really cared? :rolleyes:

I think that Rick has it.

This mini is interesting, very interesting. The bust is definitely that of Ernst II;

but the inscription around the rim does not indicate this (no ?II?), so it could be

interpreted as being an Ernst I award; but creating such a medal with that bust

of Ernst II during the reign of Ernst I is quite unlikely.

According to Nimmergut, the reverse is correct for the Ernst I medals for

?special earnings in civil life? which were awarded back in 1835-1837 as

well as the arts and science medals of 1858-1893 and 1895-1898(?).

My guess is that this mini was intended to represent a Duke Ernst medal, for

which the obverse on this mini is correct. The reverse of these medals is very

complex. So rather than create a new die for one of these complex reverses, the

jeweler used an ?in stock? reverse or made a new one with the simpler design

which we see here.

As Beau pointed out and as near as I can tell... no such animal. Reminds me of

my Hannoverian lifesaving mini with the George bust; again, never existed and

as Rick indicates, in essence, who ever looks at the reverse of a mini, a point that

has often amazed me - the detail which is often found on the reverse of minis.

Regards,

Wild Card