News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Long Service Medal Bar With Olympic Award

Very hard to find this 18 year device mounted... nice bar

I got a question. In WWI when the Iron Cross was awarded was there not also awarded a wound badge as well? This was with the bar and if it belongs with it I don't want to break them apart. Opinions please.

Edited by bsweeney

I got a question. In WWI when the Iron Cross was awarded was there not also awarded a wound badge as well? This was with the bar and if it belongs with it I don't want to break them apart. Opinions please.

One did not get the Wound Badge just because they were awarded the Iron Cross Second Class, nor did one necessarily get the Iron Cross just because they received the Wound Badge. The Iron Cross was awarded for an act of valor in combat. The Wound Badge was awarded for being wounded.

If you did get that Wound Badge along with the medal bar, there is no problem in keeping it together as a "grouping". However, without provenance or some written documentation (such as the guy's award documents, Milit?rpass, Wehrpass, or Soldbuch) it would be impossible to know for sure whether the owner of that medal bar was actually ever awarded a Wound Badge.

Best regards,

Tom

The 18-Year Police Long Service Cross is hard to find on a medal bar, but the 8-Year Police Long Service Medal is even harder to find. Many of the bars I have seen with 8-Year Police Medals are postwar put-togethers, in my opinion. This one however, strikes me as a legitimate period assembly despite the incorrect placement of the 1936 Olympic Games Commemorative Medal before the Long Service Medal.

Those medals are the WWI Commemorative Medal for Hungary and the WWI Commemorative Medal for Bulgaria.

Best regards,

Tom

Cool tom, yours is Soldier in WWI and Police officer through WWII, mine is soldier in WWI and police through WWII with serviec in 1936 Olympics.