News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portugal - 1800's Padroeira Do Reino Breast Star

A few weeks ago I was introduced to a Gentleman who for years specialized in buying out entire Estates. After everything was sorted out ?whatever Militaria they?d find was boxed up and stored away.

After about 40 years of storing things ..he?s decided to catalog it all now and start selling it.

There are boxes full and Binders and Bags and and and ?. There?s a lot. Apparently they not only ended up with groupings from Veterans Estates but also some late 60?s/70?s collections. So unfortunately , there are also many repros but mostly the old Souval /Ken Lane stuff and Globe Int, Delta Int and WW2 Ltd stuff. One of the reasons I?m helping him out here is , I don?t mind working with someone who?s on the level ?. he knows there are fakes mixed in and he was adamant about separating and marking them as fakes since he does not want to ?rip anyone off? ?refreshing to see there are still honest people out here (for once)

Anyway ?I?ve been sorting through the WW2 German first but , he also has a lot of other European Awards ?incl this Breast Star which really stood out and I thought I?d share with you. From what I?ve found so far ..it?s a Portuguese Royal Order that was instituted in 1818 . But The Web says it was limited to only twelve Grand Crosses.

I found another shot of the same Star but a different pattern so I?m wondering if this is one of the early original examples from the 1800?s , and if any of you have any idea as to what it would be worth today ?

I've been giving him a Lowest (sell it quick) Price and a Highest (don't sell it quick) Price and letting him price it where he wants ...any help you could give on this one would be appreciated :cheers:

Now just for comparison ?here?s what I think might be a modern version of this order ?the Stars are larger as well as the center disk. It doesn't have the same fine details as the one I posted above . I don't see a Ribbon Loop so I'm assuming this is the Breast Star version ..but the Crown is higher.

This picture can be found here --

http://apocalipsetotal.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html

Edited by Mike

wow-off to the JOMSA

Mike there appears to be a makers name and possibly address an the back behind the double supension pin. If you can give me the details I should be able to date within 10-20 years.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Paul

Mike there appears to be a makers name and possibly address an the back behind the double supension pin. If you can give me the details I should be able to date within 10-20 years.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Paul

Thanks for that Paul ...here's a close up --

Hi all:

Not to steal Paul's thunder, but according to my copy of Court Jewelers of the World, Souza was in business at the Rua Aurea 107 address in Lisbon during the royal (pre-1910) period and was at Rua Aurea 14 when the book was written (1978).

Hope that helps!

Eric

FANTASTIC ! Thanks Eric ?so I guess it would be safe to say this is one of the earlier produced examples.

Have any of you seen any of these Orders sell at Auction ? I?d like to give him an idea as to its value

FANTASTIC ! Thanks Eric ?so I guess it would be safe to say this is one of the earlier produced examples.

Have any of you seen any of these Orders sell at Auction ? I?d like to give him an idea as to its value

It?s an old and beautiful specimen of the Potuguese "Orden de Villaviciosa", Souza is a well know Lisbon jeweler (Tha name of the street means "Golden street" (Rua Aurea, probably because a lot of jewelers have his shops/workshops there...

The price will be in the 400 - 500 - till 700 USD. The breast badges (Knight and officer) are in the 150-200 USD ranges...It depend of the moment and the market rules as you already knows...(I would, probably, spend 400 USD if the medal come to me without much haggling)

Regards

PS/ Check emedals and liverpool medals...

Edited by hipnos

It?s an old and beautiful specimen of the Potuguese "Orden de Villaviciosa", Souza is a well know Lisbon jeweler (Tha name of the street means "Golden street" (Rua Aurea, probably because a lot of jewelers have his shops/workshops there...

The price will be in the 400 - 500 - till 700 USD. The breast badges (Knight and officer) are in the 150-200 USD ranges...It depend of the moment and the market rules as you already knows...(I would, probably, spend 400 USD if the medal come to me without much haggling)

Regards

PS/ Check emedals and liverpool medals...

Mike,

I would suggest it dates from the late third to early fourth quarter of the 19th century, given the reverse suspension, certainly a very early specimen of Da Costa's work. Interestingly as the Order of Villa Vicosa is a Dynastic award it is still awarded by the head of the Portuguese royal house the Duke of Braganza. See Bader van Duren for more information. As yours is a nice early and good quality piece I would reckon it at around ?400-600. If two or more Potuguese buyers decided it was amust have for their collection as they did not have an example of this variety then I believe it could make somewhat. All in all what you have is a most interesting piece of insignia of the Order.

All the best,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help Paul and , thanks to Eric and Hipnos as well . The Quality and attention to details really shows that it's from another era ?. :cheers:

Hello Mike,I agree with others members opinion.Your breast star is typical from last 25 years of the XIX and up to 1910.

Earleir breast star from 1818 to 1840 were of different workmanship ( much flatter often ).Value for a non chipped one is between 350 and 550 euro,if you got the case it's a little more....Orginal case are marked D.C.I on obverse lid an made of brown leather.

Emmanuel